Laura K
user 13667951
Madison, WI
Post #: 23
I did it - I just bought my first DSLR and now I really need to know if there's a difference between the $50 "professional" camera shop memory card vs. the $22 Target memory card. Both are 8g and "class 10." I'm wondering if it's like using a better film (deeper, richer colors and quality). But, my skepticism says it's all in the packaging and not the product. I really wasn't expecting to spend $50+ on the card. Anyone?? Thanks!
Brian S
briangs
Madison, WI
Post #: 213
I doubt the professional camera shop memory card is worth the extra money. Class4 have been fine for me but I use point and shoots mostly. There is Class discussion at the bottom of this page and they recommend class 4 or 6 for most people except pro's.
http://www.whatdigita...­

Best Buy has highly rated 8gb and 16gb class 10 cards starting at $12.99 (starting with the Polaroid, not the first two Transcends):
http://www.bestbuy.co...­
Alfredo
user 4392954
Madison, WI
Post #: 52
Hi, keep in mind that all memory cards save your pictures with ones and zeroes - digital.
So, all being equal the 1s and the 0s will always give you the same image.
There is a difference though; Speed, the faster the better like in horse racing.

Is the memory card that your camera takes a SD card (a small card) or a CF card (bigger card)?
I could recommend one if you answer this question.

Don't pay $50 for an 8gb memory card.

My Canon Camera takes CF cards and I always buy the ones with a high UDMA number (this one measurement of the speed - If you want to make a video then a card with a very high UDMA will work better) and between 16gb and 32gb - I have a few of this: http://www.amazon.com...­

This card cost $44 and is a 32gb - I set my camera to shoot in RAW so 32gb works for me.

Alfredo
Laura K
user 13667951
Madison, WI
Post #: 24
Thanks for your responses guys!

Alfredo - my camera takes an SD card.
Alfredo
user 4392954
Madison, WI
Post #: 53
There are many good companies that make memory cards.
My personal preference is with Transcend. I have many and haven't had any problems.

I would recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com...­
it has the latest technology and it is priced just right.
You could buy two of this and it would be half of the $50 you thought you would have to pay.

Cheers
Alfredo
Laura K
user 13667951
Madison, WI
Post #: 25
Thanks, Alfredo! I really appreciate the help!!
Marlene J.
marlenejo
San Diego, CA
Post #: 255
Just be sure to reformat each time to keep them in good working order. And clear your cards promptly to reduce the likelihood of image loss if the card malfunctions.
Greg
user 24541252
Horicon, WI
Post #: 10
Hi Laura, the cards have a speed rating, how many MB a second that will it will transfer data to & from the card. Personally, I would not go below 16GB for space, if you begin shooting in RAW for better quality & ability to edit photos or shoot any video, you will really appreciate the increased size. The speed rating can between 10MB a second to 90 MB/s. You definitely do not need 90MB, but I have come to appreciate staying at least at 30 MB/s. Having a newer camera you will notice a little a difference if you ever do any fast shooting or video as well as when you are pulling the photos & video off of the card. If the card that you purchase is an (SDXC) card, you may have to upgrade your reader, although my previous & current laptops are able to read the SDXC cards. Here is a link to Wikapedia for more information, but the SDXC allows for larger capacity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC­ & is becoming more common.

The link has information on speed information & mentioned that "Class 10 for Full HD video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills" & "UHS Speed Class 1 for real-time broadcasts and large HD video files" I haven't used my 60D for video much; my girlfriends daughter used it for a class project, but I have a 64GB (SDXC) cards & she had no space or speed issues, but I paid close to $50 for it.

I hope this is helpful/
Brian S
briangs
Madison, WI
Post #: 219
Just be sure to reformat each time to keep them in good working order. And clear your cards promptly to reduce the likelihood of image loss if the card malfunctions.
Marlene, I question the need to reformat each time. That sounds like a lot of work. I reformat a card about 2 or 3 times per year and everything seems fine.
Also, in the seven years I've been using digital cameras I've never lost images due to a card malfunction so I think that would be a very rare problem. I know you are a good photographer but you sound too paranoid about memory cards.
Beth
user 4450144
Madison, WI
Post #: 26
if you have questions, i would highly recommend that you talk to the boys at the camera company and let them explain things in easy to understand camera talk when it comes to the memory cards....AND marlene is right with reformatting. i reformat every time my photos come off of my camera and this is based on what i was told when my photos got SCREWED up just once from not reformatting often enough. since then i have never had a problem. reformatting takes 3 seconds vs the one second it takes to "delete all." i don't want to sound harsh, but i also don't anyone to ever lose any photos like i did just because of not reformatting.