addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Photography Meetup Group Message Board Photographic Opportunities - Classes, Workshops, Competitions, etc. › Join me for an August Photography Book Club

Join me for an August Photography Book Club

Katie M.
Archaeofrog
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
Looking to do more with your photography but need a little push? I'm going to be running a Photography Book Club during the month of August on both my blog (www.archaeofrog.com)­ and through the 365project.org site. We will be reading, discussing, and doing exercises from Freeman Patterson's classic Photography and the Art of Seeing. Suitable for any camera and level of experience, this book focuses on the concept of 'seeing,' encompassing everything from observation, imagination, expression, and visual design. It should be an excellent opportunity for all of us to reflect, practice, and expand our photography. Feel free to participate for the whole month, just a week, or just one time.

Each week in August we will focus on a different set of themes from the book:
- Week 1: August 1-10: Barriers to Seeing and Learning to Observe
- Week 2: August 11-17: Learning to Imagine and Learning to Express
- Week 3: August 18-24: Unique Properties of Photography
- Week 4: August 25-31: Elements of Visual Design

I wanted to announce the book club well ahead of its start to give anyone interested time to track down a copy. Photography and the Art of Seeing was first published in 1979 and has been updated several times, most recently in 2011. The majority of the text is the same across different editions (at least the 1985 and 2011 ones), although the example images have been updated, so you can certainly use older versions. The public library has a few copies or it is available (new and used) from Amazon. If you can't track down a copy, I'll be posting some thoughts and exercises each week on the blog.

Feel free to leave a comment in this discussion if you're interested in participating. You can also visit my blog (www.archaeofrog.com)­ and sign up to receive email updates, read it in your RSS reader, or be notified via Google+. Or you can 'like' the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Archaeofrog­) for updates. If there's enough interest, I'll put together a Flickr group to share images and thoughts as we go along, or we could even schedule a Meet Up to share images and discuss the book in person.
Kris H.
user 2848629
Madison, WI
Post #: 105
Thx for sharing, this sounds cool. Count me in!
Katie M.
Archaeofrog
Madison, WI
Post #: 5
Cool, great! For those wishing to follow along and share photographs and discussion for the August Photography Book Club, please join the new Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com...­