addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Photography Meetup Group Message Board The Photography Meet Up Group Discussion Forum › GearShop - online store created by DPREVIEW

GearShop - online store created by DPREVIEW

A former member
Post #: 10
dpreview.com has been my go to source for trusted information about photography gear since forever (they were very early onto the Internet).

Their advertising based business model is no longer meeting their needs so they have created an online photography store containing "only products they would recommend to friends and family."

I haven't looked yet but given their credentials as a long time photographer's resource, it is worth passing on the web address:

http://gearshop.dprev...­
Kris H.
user 2848629
Madison, WI
Post #: 108
Thx for sharing, Perry. I do like their reviews.
Brian S
briangs
Madison, WI
Post #: 261
I read dpreview and thought they were a UK site. But Gearshop has free two-day shipping for US orders. Don't know how they do that but interesting.

Amazon and B&H are hard to beat for price, selection, and return policies. They are highly rated by Consumer Reports and I've had good experiences with them. Best Buy is ok sometimes. There is Craigslist if you don't mind risking your money and safety. Or to support our local economy and sponsor shop at Camera Company.
A former member
Post #: 11
It looks to me like the gearshop is a front end to Amazon - so prices ought to be same / similar.
Brian S
briangs
Madison, WI
Post #: 264
That explains it. Should be good deals then.
Ryan E.
user 23023011
Madison, WI
Post #: 61
I have to say that gearshop has a very attractive layout that's easy to navigate. Was curious who they were & yes, they are owned by amazon, & amazon also owns DPR. Hopefully they continue to review all gear fairly without trying to positively rate products sold through GS. I don't think they would since they have built a rep of being "the" go to source for camera gear info.
A former member
Post #: 12
Amazon owns DPReview? Wow. I had no idea - thanks for digging that up. Anyone know how long ago that happened?

I've been receiving weekly updates from dpreview since 2008! Always the first place I look.
David
user 93654812
Madison, WI
Post #: 2
On a similar note lensrentals.com just released a sister site selling used gear.
http://www.lensauthor...­
Ryan E.
user 23023011
Madison, WI
Post #: 65
not sure how long they've been owned by amazon, but yes, I did a bit of digging & found that out. I really love the interactive layout they have to show ISO noise & other features the user can input; DPR rocks!
Brian S
briangs
Madison, WI
Post #: 293
$50 credit offer: http://gearshop.dprev...­

TO RECEIVE YOUR GEARLIST CREDIT:
Visit the the GearList page.
Add your photography gear to your GearList by 10/27/2013.
Approximately 3 days after building your GearList, you will receive an email with a code to redeem your $50 credit.
Enter your code at the Review And Place Your Order page.
Use your credit towards a camera or lens purchase by 11/10/2013.

$50 GEARLIST CREDIT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The credit is only valid towards a single camera or lens purchase.
Offer valid through 10/27/2013 and you must redeem your code by 11/10/2013.
GearShop reserves the right to modify or end this promotion at any time.
Offer is not transferable, not exchangeable, and not redeemable for cash.
If you return the qualifying camera or lens, we will subtract the credit from your return.
Standard, 2-Day Shipping is free, and 1-Day Shipping charges apply to all orders, including items purchased with your GearList credit.
This offer may not necessarily be combined with other offers, including promotional certificates.
Limit one per customer.
If you remove any of the qualifying item(s) from your Cart or violate any of the terms and conditions listed above, the promotion will be invalid and the credit will not apply.
Offer valid in the United States only.
Void where prohibited.