addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Photography Meetup Group Message Board The Photography Meet Up Group Discussion Forum › Computer Hardware and Color?

Computer Hardware and Color?

scott
cruser635
Madison, WI
Post #: 3
I have a techie question about computer hardware, simply put how do I make sure that the colors I see on my computer monitor will be the same as those printed when sending pictures out to be infused in aluminum, printed to canvas or into regular photos?

The reason I have the concern is that I have a computer at work set up with dual monitors, that are exactly the same model, but they are interpreting color differently (I did make sure all adjustments in Window, monitor drivers, etc. were set the same. I also checked the settings on the monitors themselves). As I look at pictures or web pages, what is gray on one monitor can be green on the other. I’m not talking light shades, it’s noticeable different to the point if I adjust picture colors based off the ‘bad’ monitor it’s going to give the picture or web page a completely different look.

So sitting at home looking at my single monitor computer, tweaking and adjusting colors in whatever my favorite program is how do I know my monitor is displaying the same colors that will get printed?

I understand that I could take an edited picture and look at it on another computer, swap out the monitor, change video cards, etc. However, that is not what I am talking, I am talking about knowing the colors are correct, fixing the problem is outside the scope of what I am asking.

Thanks for your thoughts.
A former member
Post #: 31
1. Ideal thing to do is calibrate your monitor. A good one costs about $150.
Datacolor Spyder4Express Display Calibration System have good reviews.
http://www.bhphotovid...­
2. Use appropriate color profile and processing. Some pictures benifit if you process it in CMYK profile. Some does benefit in LAB color profile. But most pictures do well in sRGB profile. To understand the color profiles please see
http://regex.info/blo...­
3. What software you use to preview your pictures also matter.
4. Avoid laptop monitors.

Try flipping your monitors. If the problem persit in one monitor, you can use a monitor calibration strategy. If the problem changes to the other monitor, that means issue is with video card.

Whichever display you are using for previewing your printable image calibrate it using
http://www.wikihow.co...­