Photography Classes and Workshops - All Levels Message Board › Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere!

Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere!

A former member
Post #: 4

Hello everyone my name is Daniel. I joined this group while I was still stationed in San Jose California with every intention of being able to participate. However, opportunity knocked on my door and I now find myself in Santiago, Chile! Currently I am working with the local music television channel VIA X on a show called BlogTV. It is a great experience but one thing I am lacking is groups like these. The ability to meet and discuss the playing field topics is of great importance, I believe, to any aspiring photographer.There is a rumor flying around that there exists a collective here in Santiago. It is allegedly made up of all the photographers from various no-longer-existant-magazines. The situation with magazines is serious here. Newspapers are still selling strong thanks to the cultural/traditional base that it has has over many years. Chile prides itself in being the first Latin-American country to have a modern newspaper agency; El Mercurio de Valparaiso, Chile. Magazines on the other hand are hurting bad.
My question is this:
Do any of you know of any photographers operating out of Santiago, Chile? I would love to meet them and have some coffee or a Pisco-Sour.
I will hopefully get to meet some of you up north when I return to receive my diploma from San Jose State University around the last week of May. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Daniel Alfredo Figueroa
P.S. Apologies if anyone gets mad that I posted this on the other groups I joined...
Jeffery L.
user 3795604
Group Organizer
Felton, CA
Post #: 96
Daniel,

This is Jeffery Luhn, organizer of this meetup. I've traveled around the world a lot as a photographer over the last 35 years and I've needed to make contact with local shooters on many occasions. I've needed to rent gear, use darkroom facilities, find out about local labs, get location information, or just get a cold beer with a brother photographer. Here's what has worked for me:

My first step is to check with my alumni association (Brooks Institute) to see if any graduates live nearby. For Brooks professionals, that almost always insures a warm reception. The next thing I do is check the local phone listings for professional photographers. There are probably lots of them in Santiago and you will certainly find one that you can make friends with. I'm sure they'll be curious about a foreign photographer.

These guys will know about the local photo scene, places to hangout, good locations, etc. Don't be shy about reaching out to people in foreign lands. As long as you're not wearing a military uniform with a flack jacket, they'll probably be happy to see you.

Lastly - Post some of your pix on this site! Just create an Album in the PHOTO section and upload some local scenes.

Have fun!
Jeffery Luhn
A former member
Post #: 7
Thank you Jeffery. I hope one day we will be able to meet when I return to the States. As of now I continue being a Stranger in a Strange Land.
Saludos!
Daniel

Ps. Ants started crawling out of my MacBook Pro...now its a Zombie MacBook Pro...trying to save my 100gbs of photos...the pain... is... horrible...