Photography Classes and Workshops - All Levels Message Board › Photography Books recommended by members

Photography Books recommended by members

Jeffery L.
user 3795604
Group Organizer
Felton, CA
Post #: 100
This is from Thomas Snuggs:

Hi Jeff,

I've taken your Portraits 1, Portraits 2, and Shootings Model classes and they were all great. You explain things very well and a you are very good all around teacher. I have been reading many photography books in the past several months and a few of them have been portrait specific. I also do a lot of research on the internet. The last book Portrait book I purchased is very, very good. It has everything you teach in it, plus more. I think it would be a excellent recommendation for your portrait students. It might even be worth while for you to have them available for purchase at your classes, assuming you could make a few dollars yourself. Here's a link to the book: http://search.barnesa...­.

Again, thanks for the classes and I'm sure I will take more in the future. I just need to put to practice some of what you have taught me.

- Thomas
Jeffery L.
user 3795604
Group Organizer
Felton, CA
Post #: 101
Reply by Jeffery Luhn:

Thomas,

Thanks for your email. I'm always looking for good books and I've been disappointed more often than not. I trust your judgement and I appreciate your suggestion. I'm going to order the book you recommended. I'll post your recommendation on my websites.

Just a note about other books: I really like the book by Christopher Grey (Gray?) It's called "Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers" It was recommended by another student - actually she thought I using it as a text, but I'd never heard of it. It turns out that Christopher Grey studied with the same people I did! So it didn't teach me anything knew, but it showed me how well organized I should be. It has some great photographic examples of various light sources, which he meticulously compiles. LOTS OF GOOD TESTING SHOTS. I highly recommend that book.

Here a list of others I've bought in 2008. I liked "Lighting Techniques for Low Key Portrait Photography". , "Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies" is super detailed and beyond my mental pay grade, but if you're good at learning from books its great. The others were disappointing.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 of: Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
1 of: The Portrait Photographer's Guide to Posing
1 of: Professional Secrets of Natural Light Portrait Photography
1 of: Lighting Techniques for Low Key Portrait Photography
1 of: Professional Portrait Posing: Techniques and Images from Master Photographers (Photo Pro Workshop series)
1 of: Set Lighting Technician's Handbook: Film Lightning Equipment, Practice, and...
Sold by: books4u31

1 of: Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Light

1 of: The Studio Photographer's Lighting Bible
1 of: Pricing Photography: The Complete Guide to Assignment & Stock Prices
1 of: Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies