Photography in Berlin Message Board › Important! Please read!!

Important! Please read!!

Beth J.
user 9665626
Group Organizer
Melbourne, AU
Hi happy snappers of Photography in Berlin,

Thank you for your on going interest in PiB, it's growing at a rapid pace. I'm Beth, the founder of the group, now is a good time to say hello to new members and to bring you all up to speed on a few developments:

1. While we all as members of Meet Up.com agree to the terms and conditions regarding personal liabilty, this agreement does not extend to organisers of an event. This means that in the unlikely event that something happens to an event member (ie, a nasty accident or even death), at this stage there is nothing in place to protect the organisers from personal liability. So we have introduced a small statement that new members agree to when they sign on to the group. This statement (below) will also be added to all future meet up events. This is boring we know and common sense, but as you can understand, we do have to take a bit of care:

'Please be aware that when you and your guest(s) rsvp to this event, that you and your guest(s) personal safety is entirely your responsibility for the duration of the above mentioned Photography in Berlin meet up event. In the event of accident or death the responsibility is limited to you and your guest(s) and not the organiser(s) of this meet up event.'

2. The Teufelsberg outing is the last event we will post live on this website that we class as a risky/dodgy urbex site. These types of places pose some physical risks, sometimes they're on private property, sometimes they're unsafe, etc. We are sorry for this, we know Berlin is awesome for these places as photo opportunities and make awesome fun outings. That said, by all means go for it privately, but we just can't post these events on the Photography in Berlin website.

3. Image gallery limits have been increased from 5 per person to 10. Still pick your best but this should give you all a bit of room to move in the galleries and show off your best piccies.

4. You MUST keep your RSVP up to date. Rules are no fun but this one sticks. If you can no longer make an event, change your RSVP to No, and then someone on the waiting list can take your place. This is also out of courtesy to the event organiser and the venue where numbers are required for bookings. If you do a no-show three times your name will be removed from the PiB group.

5. Please remember that membership to Photography in Berlin is free for all members and has come about because of dedicated unpaid hours donated by the organsiers Elmi, Niall, Julie, Diana, Marcia, (and me, when I'm there!). They love giving their time and knowledge to you the members at these events.

6. Please feel free to suggest an event, and an organiser will happily help you get it up and running.

Thanks for taking on board our updates and for your understanding.

See you in May 2012 happy snappers!!! That will be the one year anniversary so it will be a big one!!

Beth Jennings
A former member
Post #: 5
It's a shame that the meet-up group is being somewhat "sanitized" and centralized. I fully understand and totally agree with the personal liability issue, but I would not agree with not organizing anymore trips to so-called "risky/dodgy urbex" sites. How does one classify a site being "risky" or "dodgy"? Based on what criteria? Where does one draw the limits?

What attracted me to this group was precisely this: meeting up like-minded people wishing to explore abandoned, beautiful sites charged with historical and cultural significance that are so Berlin-esque and quite unique to this part of Europe. Precisely because they have an element of "dodgyness" and danger makes them more fascinating, interesting and attractive, whilst being in groups makes it safer and more fun.

Photographing these sites and spreading the word could help fight against demolition plans. Going there in groups even if it is not "officially" allowed also makes the point that at least some of these sites should be open to the public with right to access. And I think it is a pity that this is not openly supported by meet-up groups such as this. But this is only my view and take on this issue, and wished to express it, even if I am leaving Berlin very soon and so will not be part of this meet-up group anymore. But thanks much for the opportunities offered and the adrenaline-fuelled fun while it lasted...

Cheers
serban