addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Photography in Berlin Message Board › Lovely image-sharing website

Lovely image-sharing website

Linsey F.
user 18090781
Berlin, DE
Post #: 1
Hi all,

I have always been a little disappointed with Flickr for digital image storing and sharing and I recently found this site that I think is much nicer. Anyway, be good to know if anyone in the group uses it and what they think.

Might be nice to start a group on it as well?

http://500px.com/...­

lg,
Linsey
Mark
user 32994512
Berlin, DE
Let me recommend a really great site - Photo Camel. It's much smaller than Flickr, but people are super friendly and helpful, the community members range from newcomers to experts and storage space is unlimited (I think).

Cheers and happy shooting
Mark
David L.
lindes
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 52
Hi Linsey,

Thanks for sharing about an up-and-coming site in this space!

So, I just checked it out... and one of the things I always look at when evaluating such a site is their Terms of Service...

I have only just started to look at this one as yet... after a quick glance, though, I notice the following phrase striking me as potentially a bit far-reaching, and I'd be curious to hear your (and/or others') thoughts about it:

They suggest (per the User Conduct section, item 2) that one is restricted from "post[ing] ... any Content that is ... offensive".

"Offensive"? Really? That sounds like a pretty broad restriction to me. And their warranty section specifies that one may encounter such content, so it seems a little silly, too.

I'm sure they're intending to just cover themselves for having an excuse to remove content that's deeply inappropriate (including violations of the many other adjectives included in that item 2), it just... well, it makes me wonder if the site is friendly to, shall we say, "art", in the sense of provocative images and words. It seems to me that good art can often be "offensive", at least to somebody. Whether that's political commentary, or... well, anything that's geared towards making one think, outside their everyday comfort level.

What are your thoughts on that, from what you've seen on the site? Do such things get posted? Are they appreciated by the community? Are they allowed by the site administration?

Also, I'm curious to hear more about this statement:

I have always been a little disappointed with Flickr for digital image storing and sharing

What aspect(s) were you disappointed with?

And...

fund this site that I think is much nicer.

What do you find nicer about 500px?

Please note: I'm asking these questions in the spirit of seriously exploring your suggestion. I'm interested, and curious, and I just want to know (well, at least to some extent) what I'm getting into before I jump. :)

There's also 23hq.com, and probably others. Nothing has quite grabbed me as well as Flickr did, back in the day, and a big part of what grabbed me then was the community aspects of it... I have mostly stopped using Flickr in that way for a while, though, so if there's a good community going on 23hq or 500px, I'd be very interested in learning about it.

I look forward to hearing people's thoughts!

Viele Grüße,

- David
Marcin D.
user 35750012
Berlin, DE
I try not to go to often to 500px otherwise I would commit suicide. There is just so many pictures that are light years ahead of mine :)
Just kidding :p

I got a few of my photos in there http://500px.com/phot...­
The site is neat and clear. Nice big thumbnails. The thing I don't like is that you can not organize your photos.
You basically have one stream with no sets, projects or folders. Or maybe I just don't know how to do that.
I used to use flickr but don't really like the way the pictures are exposed. There is too much distracting stuff on the site. Now I keep my photos on behance.net and highly recommend it. I also use their ProSite which is quite cheap and provides all I need for my personal website. And you can link it to your own domain name.