January 21, 2014 · 6:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
For this meetup we are going to engage in a little of the following:
1. Try to re-familiarize ourselves with where everything is... The initial reorganization is a little disorienting after a couple of months of living in functional filth.
2. Work on the Computer Lab desk. We are running the router over the trim, doing some minor hand sanding, and getting a coat of spar varnish onto the finished result.
3. Install a few outlet covers and check condition of the outlets.
4. Pop in a couple more light fixtures.
5. Get ready for constructing something fun.
More on #5.
While I am not generally a fan of weaponry, I happen to love archery. I find that others have the same interest, or at least think that learning to build something as elegant as a laminated recurve wood-composite bow is pretty cool. It is also a simple and near immediately gratifying project. In hopes of being able to build some target bows in the near future, we are going to take a little time in the evening to select and mill some lumber into lames (thin wood that is for laminating or gluing together). We will do this first because the planer has nice new knives in it, while the band saw that also has new blades seems to need new tires to track right (and we will need it for the successive steps).
We will also break out some material designated for making the bow molds and at least get it marked and ready for the bandsaw. We very likely will have the big bandsaw up and running before Sunday (`Mr. Postman, bring me some parts...`)