Pinellas Hack Shack Message Board › Father of Time Banking speaking in Tampa Bay 2/28-3/4
|Marie Wilson N.||
For all those who have expressed interest in the Tampa Bay Time Bank, you may be interested to know that we've collaborated with the 2014 Beyond Sustainability Conference at Hillsborough Community College to bring inDr. Edgar Cahn, "father" of the international time banking movement, and several other time banking activists. They will be speaking on both sides of the bay, and you are invited to attend.
If you're also interested in the conference, we have negotiated a VERY good rate--$35.00 for TBT members--and are making a one-time special offer of $45.00 for the conference AND TBT membership. You can sign up at the door.
Below is our current schedule of activities.
Calendar of Events with Visiting Time Bank Activists
While in Tampa Bay, Drs. Cahn and Gray will keynote the 2014 Beyond Sustainability Conference at Hillsborough Community College, speak at the Pinellas Urban League and at the Stetson University College of Law, and participate in the following Tampa Bay Time Bank events:
• Friday 2/28-Saturday 3/1, 2014 –2014 Beyond Sustainability Conference
Hillsborough Community College, Ybor City, Performing Arts Building, 1304 E. 11th Avenue, TBT members: $35.00 ($175 for others); $45.00 special includes TBT Membership
• Friday, 2/28, 2014 – 7 pm: Edgar Cahn’s Public Address on Time Banking
HCC Campus, Ybor Building, Ybor Room, 2001 N. 14th Street; TBT members – $5.00
• Friday, 2/28 (Tampa) and Monday 3/2 (St. Petersburg)
A limited number of appointments are available for leaders of organizations to explore the potential of partnering with Tampa Bay Time. Contact Marie Nelson, email@example.com.
• Saturday, 3/1, 2014 – 3-5 pm, Florida Regional Time Bank Coordinator Gathering, followed by dinner. Contact Marie Wilson Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Sunday, 3/2, 2014 – 1-5 pm: Tampa Bay Time Potluck & Visioning Workshop Sacred Grounds Coffee House, 4819 East Busch Boulevard, Tampa
Bring a dish. Potluck at 1:00 pm; organizational visioning 2-5 pm.
• Monday, 3/3 – 7 pm: Time Bank Youth Courts: Disrupting the School-to-Prison Pipeline, A talk by Edgar S. Cahn, JD, PhD, founder of the Time Bank Youth Courts of Washington, DC, Carter G. Woodson African American Museum of St. Petersburg, 2240 9th Avenue S., St. Pete; Co-Sponsored with St. Pete Together &The Connection Partners
By diverting teens to peer juries, time bank youth courts in Washington, DC, keep kids’ records clean, reduce reoffending, and dramatically reduce costs. Run by teens, in 16 years they handled 1/3 of non-violent offenses, diverted 6,595 youth away from the criminal system, and cost only $540 per youth, far lower than the cost of the jail/court/prison system. 70% of participants finish high school or go to some type of higher education, and 92% of funds have gone to direct use. (Information from the Youth Court of the District of Columbia website)
• Tuesday, 3/4 – 6-9 pm: Tampa Bay Time Bank: Co-creating a More Resilient Tampa Bay, Reception and interactive discussion with TimeBanks USA guests, TBT members and invited guests. Limited space, by reservation only. Contact Peggie Marks for details at 727-320-4181.
Watch for Tampa Bay Time Bank newsletters or view the Tampa Bay Time Bank’s Events Calendar for more information. If you have any questions contact us: email@example.com.