addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Pinellas Patriots Message Board GENERAL DISCUSSION › A bill to get the IRS under control!

A bill to get the IRS under control!

Vicky K.
user 10229965
Clearwater, FL
Post #: 373
From Bill Young, in answer to one of my letters:

Because of your earlier concerns regarding the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), I thought you would be interested to learn of recent efforts to help stop the abusive practices of this out of control bureaucracy.

On July 17th, the House Appropriations Committee, of which I am a senior m ember, approved the Fiscal Year 2014 Financial Services Appropriations bill. This measure funds a number of different federal agencies, but it is also one of the most important tools for the Congress to exercise our oversight of the IRS . To this end, my colleagues and I were able to include several provisions t o hold this agency accountable:

First, we reduce funding for the IRS by $3.9 billion compared to the budget request, a 30 percent cut.
The bill explicitly prohibits the IRS from targeting groups for regulatory scrutiny based on their ideological beliefs.
The bill cuts the salaries for top IRS officials if they fail to implement the recommendations made by the Inspector General to prevent political targeting.
Funding is withheld for the enforcement division until the IRS implements the recommendations made by the Inspector General to prevent political targeting.
Funding is withheld for conferences and travel until the IRS implements recommendations made by the Inspector General to control inefficient spending on travel.
The IRS is prohibited from creating wasteful videos.
The IRS is prohibited from paying excessive employee bonuses or awards.
The bill does not include the requested $440 million to implement the President's healthcare reform law .
The bill prohibits transfers from the Department of Health and Human Services to implement the healthcare law .
Finally , the bill prohibits enforcement of the healthcare law's Individual Mandate.

The FY14 Financial Services Appropriations bill now awaits consideration by the full House in the coming weeks, and you can be sure I will follow up with you on any new developments that may occur.

As always, I greatly appreciate knowing of your support for my efforts on this important matter of mutual concern. With best wishes and personal regards, I am

Bill Young
Member of Congress

A former member
Post #: 36
Maybe we should just get rid of the entire political mess that the IRS has evolved into.