Pinoy Pals Message Board › Suggestions for the meet up :-)

Suggestions for the meet up :-)

Jonabelle
user 12117866
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Hello Pals,

It was my first time last night to see such warm and friendly Pinoys in the group. My kids and I have enjoyed it last night. Kudos to Arlene and the organizer to this group!
While I was sitting in there with the group, a lot of ideas pop up. I was wondering if we could turn it into a theme related meetings, not only enjoying the food, but also learning our culture at a deeper level. Here are my ideas of themes:

a) Language Night--I think we have few or even more representations of our native dialects. When we have language nights, we could teach a phrase or a sentence (either survival language or formal language) to a member who doesn't know that dialect. ( I would like to learn other native dialects aside from Tagalog.) We could ask for a volunteer from the group to facilitate this.

b) Storytelling Night (we could pick one or two myths or legends from the Philippines that can be shared to the group). We have a lot of myths and legends in the Philippines e.g. the legend about the coconuts, the jasmine flower, etc.

c) Poetry Night ("balak" in Bisaya--I don't know what you call it in Tagalog). Member can share their favorite poem (in any native dialect) and read it to the group. Translate it to the group, so that the members who don't understand can really appreciate it.

d) Game Night--play our favorite board games native to the Philippines e.g. sungka, dama, etc. (Of course, no betting--just enjoy the game.)

We could alternate these themes. I just wanted to share what I thought might make it fun and at the same time learning the culture.

Jonabelle (Jonna) Mwamba