Pittsburgh PHP Developers Group Message Board › Getting Started with Subversion notes, November meetup
Avon Lake, OH
Getting Started with Subversion
- why SVN
- extremely common place
- TONS of tools for using SVN
- popularity leads to good documentation
- free / low-cost ways to use SVN
DAV vs SSH
- alternatives to installing
- Assembla - http://www.assembla.c...
- Unfuddle - http://unfuddle.com/a...
- OpenSVN - https://opensvn.csie....
- And many more...
- Import any current code
svn import -m "Downtown First" . svn://svnuser<at sign>svn.nezencreation.com/dtf/trunk
- Checkout imported code
- Start working using the checked out code
Tools for checking in/out
- TortoiseSVN: http://tortoisesvn.ti...
- WebSVN (PHP web-based client): http://www.websvn.inf...
- Many more:
- Check in when done for the day
- Check in when starting the day
- Check in after major changes
- Note: in general, can't check in too often; a lot harder to do than not enough