add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Molly B.
user 9889174
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 12
I was thinking of growing a couple Paw Paw trees in my backyard. Has anyone out there had good luck with them? Any suggestions for where I should buy them? Thanks! Molly B.
user 81047792
Mount Pleasant, PA
Post #: 28
I planted Paw Paws this spring Molly. I have been watering them and they are growing well. I purchased the trees from Millers Nursery in NY State. They were more expensive than some other nurseries but they had named varieties that promised Larger fruit. The trees I received were on the smaller size, maybe a foot tall, but it has only been a few weeks and they are coming along nicely. I have never tasted a Paw Paw, I am looking forward to tasting fruit from my own trees in a few years. I planted a lot of trees this spring, mulberry, Chinese chestnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almond, and of course Paw Paws. I got some from Gurneys, and some from Millers. The trees from Gurneys were a bit larger and much cheaper. I bought they when they had there 50% off sale. They have that once or twice a year. They had Paw Paws at Gurneys but Millers was claiming much larger fruit. Millers trees were a hybrid variety, Gurneys just said paw paw, so I am guessing a native variety with smaller fruits. I hope this has been helpful. I am just learning about the tree myself. wink
Molly B.
user 9889174
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 13
Thanks, Doug! I was looking at Miller's Nursery to buy Paw Paws. I've bought blueberry bushes from them and they have been quite productive. They delivered in the spring. so, my non functioning strawberry patch will be fixed up to plant them. smile