Plant Based Nation - Tucson Message Board › Do the Animals Matter ?

Do the Animals Matter ?

A former member
Post #: 9
I am curious as to the motivation behind the members/organization of Plant Based Nation-is it human- health driven, or do the animals, in particular so-called "food animals" count too?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never heard or read in any of the group's discussions/literature about this topic. Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to be healthy, I am vegan so I know the amazing benefits of this lifestyle, but I am an "ethical" vegan who believes that non-human animals have needs that should always supercede our human-animal wants.
Please take this query in the fashion it was meant;I am interested in any civil-minded responses;this is not meant to be judgmental or accusatory.Thanks. Deb
Janice
user 2630497
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 85
Thanks so much, Deb, for asking this important question. We actually don't give specific reasons to be plant based because there are a variety of reasons to be plant based - animal rights included. Your position is as valid as Jared Keen’s was for health. (Jared Keen is the Executive Director of Plant Based Nation) We want all reasons to be a part of this. We welcome all positions on a plant based diet because one reason may not connect with one person while another one will.
Our mission is outlined on this meet-up website and also at www.plantbasednation.com. We are here to support plant-based businesses, to educate the public about a plant-based diet, and to support our community in any way we can with various programs that we feel would express our main goal of plant based education. (you may read about our various programs on our website) There is another meet-up organization that has been formed by Ben specifically dealing with animal rights. Ben is well informed and very active in the animal rights community. If you want to contribute to this segment of our community, Ben I'm sure would love to speak with you. www.meetup.com/vegantucson/ If you would like to work with us and contribute your knowledge of animal rights here in Tucson, we'd also love to give you a platform. Presently we are looking for home cooks to help us educate the parents, teachers, and students at the Tuller School, a small elementary school in Tucson. If you would like to teach a vegan dish at the school and also share why you are vegan with the children, how important animals are to us and why, then that is also something we would welcome. Please by all means continue this discussion, let us hear what you have to say, and also please be the person that we can go to for programs about this.

A former member
Post #: 10
Janice,
Thank you for your prompt and informative reply. Excuse my tardiness in responding back to you.
I have joined Ben's group (vegan/animal rights in tucson)and am very much looking forward to a meetup with those folks.
I am also interested in helping children learn about a vegan lifestyle;particularly as it applies to animal rights/liberation. I'm not the greatest vegan cook in the world, but I would be willing to help out in the schools you are involved with.
Are any of your upcoming events featuring speakers concerned with the animals also, or would someone have to go to a strictly animal rights group to learn about this topic?