Fronimo's November 1, 2008
en la casa de Ann y Ray, abril 2010
Las Margaritas por la tarde, junio 2016
¡Bienvenida! ¿Quisiera platicar? ¿Te gusta la lengua? Andamos buscando aficionados. Tenemos un grupo de conversación. Quisiéramos amigos. ¿Estás listo?
There is only one reason to join Platique. You want to come to total immersion meetings. As you can see the purpose of the website is to manage meetings. Our Calendar is the most important page where you can see meeting info and RSVP Yes or No. Sometimes the bulletin board or discussion are involved in planning new meetings. Other than that here is nothing useful on the website. We don't teach Spanish. Aprendemos por reunión.
We have a reunión every week in different places, usually central or east.
If you don't RSVP YES you just take up space.
The first requirement is that you must be able to converse in Spanish. No English allowed. You have to upload a picture of yourself, an identifiable photo of just you, your face, not a lot of other stuff or other people. A valid email address is required and don't change it unless you first change it on your Account here. Your account info is visible only to you.
HOW TO FIND A MEETING: We are a Private group. Applications to join must be approved by the Organizer. THEN you can log on to the Platique web site and go to the Home or Calendar page. Every member is invited to all meetings. Choose a meeting and put your name on the list. Start coming to meetings now.
HOW TO JOIN: Joining this group is easy. At the top of the page click on "Join Us" or "Sign Up", and fill out the application. I have two requirements.
1) Use your full name. I must know your name. When someone comes to an En Casa meeting we want to know who it is. Names and photos are only visible to members. If you cannot sign with your full name or give an ID photo send me a private note at firstname.lastname@example.org describing the problem.
2) When you are asked to upload photos you can put as many as you want showing things you like to do, activities, pictures of yourself and places you have been. However the Primary Photo you choose must be a picture of you. When the photo chosen for Primary is shrunk to 3" wide your face in the middle may shrink so far as to almost disappear, so crop the photo down to a head and shoulders picture of you so we can see who you are. This is an ID photo. I must clearly see your face. The photo must be in the format ,jpg, .png or .gif and must be less than 10 Megabytes. Names and photos are only visible to members. If you cannot sign with your full name or give an ID photo send me a private note at email@example.com describing the problem.
- Spanish skill getting a little rusty? Need Practice? Want to meet with friends to chat in Spanish? You've come to the right place! We are a Conversation group of friends who meet just to chat in person in Spanish. We don't teach, just talk. Formal course work you get somewhere else. We only encourage active members. Lurking here will only be a waste of space and time. To benefit from Platique you will be attending meetings. Plan to meet a few advanced speakers fluent in Spanish and many more intermediate level speakers.
- Meetings are all in Spanish. Consider it to be a mini total immersion. Obviously, to survive without English, newcomers must be able at the very least to understand a really basic conversation, put together a question and understand the answer, slowly if necessary. If you have not somehow acquired at least that level don't worry, you can get there in just a few weeks. Here is one suggestion practically guaranteed to work. Go to the public library and check out the Pimsleur Short Course in Spanish on CD. It is very basic. It will give you a head start in understanding what is said in meetings. You should finish the Short Course in two to three weeks. Plan to continue either with the Pimsleur Complete Course or with formal classes.
- If you have reached that famous impasse where you know more than enough Spanish to be able to speak but “just can't carry on a conversation” usually that is fear of making mistakes. You are really ready for this group. Everyone makes mistakes, naturally. We learn from mistakes. It is basic, axiomatic, Spanish (or other language) is learned by making mistakes. You must make 5000 mistakes to learn the language. You are way behind. Get started.
- You will observe that we have numerous fluent speakers or those with a teaching background. That should not be daunting. While the majority of attendees are above Beginner level Spanish speakers, almost every meeting will have a range from fluent to intermediate. We don't teach Spanish except by the listen and learn method. We have Conversations, it's not like a meeting with an agenda unless avoiding English for an hour is an agenda. We don't teach, there are no lessons, no books. Come to speak Spanish.
- We meet to chat 'en español' and have fun in a low-key, relaxed atmosphere. Hope to see you at an event soon! Right now we are meeting about once a week mostly on Wednesday night. About half our meetings are in a Mexican restaurant in mid-cental/East Tucson. The other half of the meetings could be anywhere in town in a private home, "En Casa". Some meetings will be announced from meetup.com by email. All meetings will be on the Meeting Calendar. Everyone has to use the Calendar to keep current on meetings.
1,128 Tucson Social Dancers
591 Rock Climbers
6,522 Hiking Enthusiasts
538 Conscientious Creators