The Zeitgeist Movement - folly or future?
The Zeitgeist Movement (TZM) is people around the world supporting real change, with supporters numbering more than half a million and growing, and chapters in every major city around the world.
The Zeitgeist Movement is not a political movement. It does not recognize nations, governments, races, religions, creeds or class. Our understandings conclude that these are false, outdated distinctions which are far from positive factors for true collective human growth and potential. Their basis is in power division and stratification, not unity and equality, which is our goal. While it is important to understand that everything in life is a natural progression, we must also acknowledge the reality that the human species has the ability to drastically slow and paralyze progress, through social structures which are out of date, dogmatic, and hence out of line with nature itself. The world you see today, full of war, corruption, elitism, pollution, poverty, epidemic disease, human rights abuses, inequality and crime is the result of this paralysis.
This movement is about awareness, in avocation of a fluid evolutionary progress, both personal, social, technological and spiritual. It recognizes that the human species is on a natural path for unification, derived from a communal acknowledgment of fundamental and near empirical understandings of how nature works and how we as humans fit into/are a part of this universal unfolding we call life. While this path does exist, it is unfortunately hindered and not recognized by the great majority of humans, who continue to perpetuate outdated and hence degenerative modes of conduct and association. It is this intellectual irrelevancy which the Zeitgeist Movement hopes to overcome through education and social action.
The goal is to revise our world society in accord with present day knowledge on all levels, not only creating awareness of social and technological possibilities many have been conditioned to think impossible or against "human nature", but also to provide a means to overcome those elements in society which perpetuate these outdated systems.
An important association, upon which many of the ideas of this movement are derived come from an organization called " The Venus Project" directed by social engineer and industrial designer, Jacque Fresco. He has worked nearly his entire life to create the tools needed to assist a design of the world which could eventually eradicate war, poverty, crime, social stratification and corruption. His notions are not radical or complex. They do not impose a subjective interpretation in their formation. In this model, society is created as a mirror of nature, with the variables predefined, inherently. The movement itself is not a centralized construct. We are not here to lead, but to organize and educate.
1. TZM recognizes that our current conduct on this planet is unsustainable and advocates a transition into a new framework for society called a Resource Based Economy, as proposed by Jacque Fresco, founder of The Venus Project.
2. TZM recognizes that, through the humane use of technology, we can provide a near abundance of the necessities of life to all of the world's people, and aims to eliminate scarcity in as many areas as possible; creating a system of access rather than property and money.
3. TZM recognizes that our current employment model is outdated and not in line with the advancement of technology, and advocates working towards machine automation in the production of goods and services; removing the need for human labour wherever possible, while maximising efficiency.
4. TZM recognizes that society must have a symbiotic relationship with nature in order to be sustainable and achieve an ecological balance by living in harmony with the earth and not in spite of it.
5. TZM recognizes that nothing less than a complete shift in the way we operate on this planet is required if we wish to avoid social collapse on a global scale.
6. TZM aims to remove the conditions needed for governments and laws by addressing the root causes of our social problems by creating a more humane environment which through it's design, encourages and necessitates positive human behaviours and actions.
7. TZM advocates the scientific method applied to society for social concern, arriving at decisions based on statistical data and inferential logic geared towards maximum efficiency of operations, rather than opinions based on self and national interest.
8. TZM is primarily a social movement, advocating a system that encourages collaboration rather than competition and is based on unity and equality by design; while promoting a global shift in human values which are the most compatible for social sustainability.
9. TZM is not an institution or a political organization and whilst structured around projects, operates without hierarchy or leaders.
10. TZM's purpose is to initiate the transition into a Resource Based Economy by spreading awareness of the concept.
Join Plato's Cave philosophers as we consider the folly or future of the Zeitgeist Worldwide Movement, The Venus Project, and the prospect of a Resource Based Economy.
Be sure to check the Plato’s Cave discussion and files sections where you can read, post and download documents that are relevant to this topic.
-Steve, Plato's Cave Organizer