addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Plato's Cave - The Orlando Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board › Idealism never lasts

Idealism never lasts

A former member
Post #: 286
Or rather it remains and man separates himself from it.
A former member
Post #: 443
And there are those who stay near to their ideals, and doing so propels them and their society forward.

Here is a brief review of Nelson Mandela's life.

EDIT: Note the changes of mind, and the support of community, that had to occur in and around Mandela for him to be able to lead his country out of apartheid.
A former member
Post #: 11
On the topic of "idealism" (in the sense that it is opposed to "realism): I think as long as there will be humans, there will be ideals. We often seem to fall short of our ideals and sometimes it seems like holding onto our ideals is like trying to fight against gravity. However, if it weren't for putting forth the effort involved to reach our ideals humans would still be living in caves. I don't think we should ever give up on pursuing our ideals so long as they are good ideals to be working toward.
A former member
Post #: 12
I will also add that many ideals are such that we can never really sit back and say, "it's over, we reached our ideals. We can stop trying now". Rather many important ideals are such that we must constantly work toward upholding them. ideals like toleration for instance require us to always be mindful of how we behave toward others. In a sense it is almost like Sisyphus, constantly involved in working toward a goal but never quite reaching its perfection. However, after a lot of practice, being tolerant requires less effort. Sisyphus becomes stronger and the boulder rolls more easily for him with time.
A former member
Post #: 446
Thank you Gary. Also we have to be open to change and trade, essentially the maturing process. Mandella started great and was found unworkable in his society as it was, so he became forcibly separated from it. And then thanks in great part by way of the work of others in support, this man became the leader to his society. Here is a link to some of his greatest observations on life.
A former member
Post #: 20
I agree. A truly remarkable individual, Mandella is/was. Thank you for some informative links, Rammy! If only M.L. King had not had his life ended prematurely I stager to think what more great contributions he could have made to the dialogue of civil rights in the US. sad

In a sense Mandella is gone and the great mind/brain (or whatever) which held many great ideals is perhaps no longer with us physically, but the ideals themselves DO last because he WAS here and made a great impression and left a legacy to follow for all the other mind/brains still physically with us.

I will also echo Noam Chomsky a bit and remind us that great minds are not the only component to a great movement. It takes a LOT of ordinary people to move ideas around. Without our cooperation and work, the Nelson Mandella's of the world would have fallen on deaf ears. I'm pretty sure that is a good sign for humanity. smile
A former member
Post #: 797
Ideologies often fail to account for realities.