Rami K.
Rammy
Orlando, FL
Post #: 407
Too sick for my stomach, however maybe one of yous can watch and provide some useful feedback:
Richard D.
user 86003452
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 1
After watching the interview of Mark with Bill Moyers, I posted these comments to my Facebook page:
From my perspective (as a Christian) I regard the nature of politics, especially in Washington, to represent a system of humanity devoid of recognition that the conduct and condition of people hinges upon concepts and behavior that are (by individual choice) exercised through our social, moral and ethical values. It seems to me that having lost sight of what really controls our destiny, we have accepted the propaganda of capitalism that money is most effective force of power by which to take control of our lives. Well...welcome to our state of existence wherein we are all essentially in bondage to a contrived system of compulsive attitudes that submit to the need for money to be fed.
Please don't misread me, I am not against the concept of money; I acknowledge it as a most useful tool to help administer and manage the course of our lives. But I regard that it has become somethiing more than a mere tool; it now serves as a weapon of coercion and control that determines who, what, when, where and why (...oh, and "how much") wherein our lives begin, end and everything in between. I find it ironic that the condition of man tends not to submit to the will of a God who he worships for the sake of his quality of life in this plane of existence (and for eternity thereafter) but yet, so readily. acquiesces to a contrived system of wealth that essentially represents no more than a system of control and manipulation that, I think, is leading him to a far different reward for his efforts.
For my part, I find it difficult to wait for the culmination of this state of affairs.
Rami K.
Rammy
Orlando, FL
Post #: 412

Nice first post. Beware however, those who could not wait prior to the breakout of the first world war found themselves in dire mental states during and after the fact.

Hard right turn: somehow while searching for the name of the god of money, I ran across a character innately more interesting:

amanda m.
user 10486702
Orlando, FL
Post #: 36
I just rewatched it. I read his book. How about we go a little astray from this and look at the philosophy of power. The whole point for everyone in that town looked to be self- aggrandizement. But to do that you need this- power. I think of power as having an effect. I am amazed that I can watch online or see people who appear to have their heads swell because- they have an effect. Now one would hope it is cool to feel good when you do good in the world. But no. I'm amazed that they are so "effect agnostic"- they don't care what they do as long as they are in control of doing it. And,of course, as long as their influence peddling gets them the gold. Of course greed is mundane and understandable but to have it so widespread must mean that they must be able to justify it to themselves. Are they looking for their next fix of "power" so they get high on their greed? http://en.wikipedia.o...­)
Rami K.
Rammy
Orlando, FL
Post #: 425
I "think" many politicians get into government to do good. The question is: good for who? There is tribalism, nativism, localism. I don't think looking out for best interests is necessarily a bad thing, especially when the cards are laid out on the table. Surely that is what representative government is about. Each also comes with their own history and background. Perhaps it is merely human that wealth amasses closest to foci of power; does this however not simply encourage ourselves each of us to mind our own business and make certain we lack not for either the wealth or power which we as ordinary citizens require to get on with our own lives? The question only is, when has too much power been taken, be it purchasing power, or political, for us to stand up and take notice?

Also, reviewing the paragraph above I see the use of the word 'best'. The word 'best' always precludes some prior knowledge, often this is assumed. I think (there is that word again) that even our assumptions, and the motives behind them, require examination.
amanda m.
user 10486702
Orlando, FL
Post #: 37
I'm kind of confused by this meetup. Why are we not already notified of a meetup? I assume setting one up is mundane for those who do it all the time. Now I am really OK to advocate my power on picking a day to whoever was doing it before and understands the meetup software.
Rami K.
Rammy
Orlando, FL
Post #: 426
Yes, but do you have a topic?
amanda m.
user 10486702
Orlando, FL
Post #: 38
So are you there right now? I heard there was a new meetup group but Swammi said no.
Rami K.
Rammy
Orlando, FL
Post #: 644
What inspires greed?

That's it. That's the question. If greed is in government it is because we have allowed it to be. I recall someone, perhaps it was Thomas Jefferson, who said something to the effect that the two primary threats to healthy governance are thieves and large government. Thieves because they are apt to take from others, and large government because it provides a domain from which the first group may elect to operate out of. Now I am not seeking this thread to delve into the appropriate size of government -- a valid topic for another thread. Where I would like to see this go is an exploration of greed itself: what inspires it, how to recognize it, what of it.

Getting back to Richard's context, or perhaps in apology to my hasty response to it, here is a link to Margaret MacMillan's essay sponsored by the Brookings Institute, The Rhyme of History: Lessons of the Great War