align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Plato's Cave - The Orlando Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board › Meeting this month (October)? Suggestions for topics?

Meeting this month (October)? Suggestions for topics?

John
user 4729416
Orlando, FL
Post #: 5
Hello,

Are there plans for a meeting this month? There hasn't been much organizational activity on this site for the past few months; it would be a shame if this group were to fall stagnant. I'm starting this thread for topic suggestions as well. Here are a couple I have in mind; if others want to offer feedback, or suggest other topics, please go ahead.

1. A discussion around and about the bee dance. It's at once a concrete case to ground the discussion, and provides ample room for the discussion to grow. How should we interpret what the bees are doing? What sorts of capacities are we willing to attribute to them? If we count it as a case of communication, what kind of communication is it? How does it relate to human forms of communication? And so on. It's been used as a central example in debates in philosophy of mind and language, touching on these and other questions too.

2. A discussion on logic, as an intro to some basic concepts and applications. Some of us may be willing to lead a kind of logic workshop, and I've been trying to educate myself about logic as well.
Jairo M.
JamyangPawo
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 1,492
I just suggested something and it gets sent to the organizer, but it no longer gets published automatically, and it has happened before since some months ago, so it's not so chaotic as it used to be when I was suggesting and immediately getting published.

I find interesting articles and books all the time and say to my self "Hey Self, this could be a good topic for a meetup with Platos Cavemen and Cavewomen." Now, I can't exactly remember them all because I haven't jotted them down anywhere. And some of them are related to past meetups. I hope that we are not too shy about suggesting here in the discussion board, and I don't mind if we repeat meetup topics to go further into the subject because the topics are never quite solved.

I was thinking for example of one topic to be titled something like "Belief in God in an Age of Reason" because I found a book by that title. Alternatively, "God for Thinkers". It relates to one past meetup we had related to a book titled "Religion for Atheists" but it doesn't have to follow that book.

Another topic idea I have been considering would be titled "Happiness" and it's subtitle might be "How can philosophy help us in that endeavor?"

As for user 4726416's suggestion number 2, we all could find a discussion on logic helpful.

Thanks,
Jairo