Playtest UK Games Meetup Group Message Board › Meetup Organisation

Meetup Organisation

Behrooz S.
user 8748997
London, GB
Post #: 224
If you're calculating for break time, also remember to allow for the 'pitching' time. Including the designer's pitch and your brief intro, each game may take as much as a minute to be mentioned. That's 6 minutes for 6 games. Definitely a slight over-estimate but even 3 minutes (I'd be surprised if it were less) is quite a bit when you're timing every minute.

I think that as we're all fairly hardcore gamers, we're probably more in favour of structure, rules and so forth. I think I am, at least!
Rob H.
user 11129400
Group Organizer
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 16
Thanks for your message, Bez. I wasn't including the pitch time within the ten minutes; it was more a sort of time-out so everone knows when to get back upstairs for the pitching/ playtesting.
Does ten minutes sound too long/ too short/ just about right?
Behrooz S.
user 8748997
London, GB
Post #: 226
10 minutes sounds like a good amount of time to me.

It's possibly more than we need but I like the idea of having 'official' 'break time' giving folk a chance to chat not just before the start of the event but also during.
David M.
user 80043972
Melksham, GB
Post #: 1
I think it's a good idea to build in 10 mins comfort/beer break between sessions.
Rob H.
user 11129400
Group Organizer
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 17
I've been testing the TV countdown for the sessions and the break today, so it should be all systems go for the next Playtest meetup :)
Lawrence
Lawrence
Southend-on-Sea, GB
Post #: 70
On Screen timer for games and a 10-minute timer for the break between sessions as well. Great ideas. I've often got carried away in a game not knowing how long we've got. Now I'll (hopefully) know where to look.

If people bring a short game, they can supposedly get a couple of games in one slot no? Hypothetically for myself as most of my games have excceded expected times, thanks mostly to useful in-game feedback.

Cheers
Rob H.
user 11129400
Group Organizer
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 20
Hopefully the on-screen counter will make it easier for designers to pace their playtests. The 90-minute sessions do indeed allow for multiple plays or multiple games to be scheduled in the same time slot.