addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Playtest UK Games Meetup Group Message Board › Extra Playtest meetups in London?

Extra Playtest meetups in London?

Rob H.
user 11129400
Group Organizer
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 33
It's great to see that there is an appetite among the members for extra Playtest UK meetups in London, in addition to the regular third Sunday meetup.

Here is a space to discuss the logistics further. I'm happy to help out as much as possible, but unfortunately I can't commit the time to running it myself.
Andrew R.
user 12099789
London, GB
Post #: 3
I'd struggle to commit to another full day of playtesting (I'm sufficiently unreliable about making just once a month), but maybe we could look into forming a few small satellite groups that can meet for a few hours to test just one or two games at a time?

Anybody up for something along those lines around the N6 (Archway, Crouch End) or NW5 (Kentish Town) part of North London?
A former member
Post #: 1

Hey Man, I live in Crouch End, and that would be FANTASTIC. Let me know!
J
A former member
Post #: 2
Yeah I appreciate now the logistical problems you get when you have a large group. Rob does an excellent job organizing the chaos so that all the games get a fair amount of exposure.

If some people are interested in an intimate, informal and more regular playtesting, as per Cambridge, I am trying to gather a posse of people who will commit to regularly helping each other out, (even if the same games keep cropping up each session).

So far we are 4 people interested in the idea, although 1 is rather short on time. So we'd be interested in hearing from a couple more interested people. Unfortunately we probably wouldn't want more people than could fit around a table in total.

And this is not attempting to compete with the main monthly events, so we wouldn't meet up anytime close to when they occur.
A former member
Then again, as Andy suggested, regional satellite groups would be even better, if enough people were interested. Less transport hassle, and the exclusivity of small groups would be less arbitrary.

Just a suggestion: maybe on the next meeting's announcement board, members could be encouraged to say if they are interested in joining a satellite group, and roughly where they live. This could also/alternatively be posed during the next meetup.
Rob H.
user 11129400
Group Organizer
Surbiton, GB
Post #: 34
It will be great to see more playtesting happening at these smaller groups. Playtest UK has always been about putting designers and playtesters in touch with each other. Feel free to use the discussion board or the Playtest UK BGG guild to organise them. As they are naturally smaller and exclusive, it might be better to keep them informal and not as separate meetups.

We are talking to Tim from BRB and Jimmy from the Loading Bar in Soho about the possibility of arranging another London-based playtest session once-a -month. I'll let you know of any developments.

What do you think?

P.S. The Cambridge Playtest group are invading the capital for a midweek playesting session at the Loading bar on the 15th October if you want to check out the venue.

Details here: http://www.meetup.com...­
Chris T.
user 52748272
London, GB
Post #: 2
I would be happy to participate in (perhaps even host) small scale meet ups in SW London?
Phil R.
user 57769502
London, GB
Post #: 1
With regard to a selection of smaller meetups, is there a call for meetups of a more focused nature, for example a card game meetup or a dice game meetup? I would be willing to run a playtest meetup that would have wargaming as its focus, is anybody interested?
Dean M.
nosywombat
London, GB
Post #: 12
*bump* Where did we end up with this thread?

For the past year, I've been working in Cambridge, so I've been able to go along to the Cambridge group each week. It's very informal and a lot of fun. Rather than having a set time to demo a game, it's very fluid - whoever has some idea they want to try out brings it along and whoever is there play tests it. I found it great for playtesting new games that are super early in development. ie. this is a game I thought up at lunch time. They may crash and burn in 20 minutes, but it's good to have the chance to see if a game is worth developing further. There's also a chance to try games that are much further along as well. It works well, because there's only a small group - between 4 and 12 each week.

Now that I'm no longer in Cambridge, it would be good to set something similar up in London. Have a set day and anyone who's interested can turn up. It might get out of hand if too many people turn up, but it might be worth trying...

Brett G.
55cards
London, GB
Dean: Nice to have you along for the ride this past year. Drop in if you're ever in Cambridge!

I'm sure there are enough willing participants in London — so good luck to all in organising more playtest opportunities. You can never have enough!