Drinking Liberally Hopkins
Monday, September 17th at 6:30 p.m.
VFW Post 425
100 Shady Oak Road, Hopkins
A week from today we will start out with a chat about the awesome Democrat Convention. Then Laurie McKendry will join us to tell how she intends to win against David Hann and what she needs from us. Plan to be there and give her the support she needs. If she takes down David Hann that is a two vote turn around. That is something we can all get behind even if we are not in her district!
Laurie McKendry is running for the State Senate seat in the new SD48. She held her first job at 14, succeeded as a sales person and founded two businesses. She's lived in Minnetonka for 20 years. She raised her two children here. Both are now in college. After raising her children, she was finally able to go to college and get her degree.
She's running against 10-year incumbent David Hann. Since her endorsement in March, Laurie has been out talking with voters in both Eden Prairie and Minnetonka. She and her volunteers have talked with over 4,000 voters. And, she's finding the majority don't find Sen. Hann's position matching with their values.
But, this area's been redder than red forever, right? Yes, the B-side of the district does have Bearpath, but the demographics are changing. We're now at a 50 Democratic Performance Index. Basically, this is a toss up race and whoever works harder will win. Was absolutely thrilled to see that when we started the planning process. It's a number that comes from Corey Day. …older folks moving out of the district, new families coming in being more liberal, Somali population being here long enough to be able to vote (we've got the 3rd largest population in the state), Asian Indians doing the same thing, high density housing filling out neighborhoods. That alone says this is a winnable race … if we get the help and the money to get our message out.
Why else is this race winnable? Sen. Hann has been outspoken with a number of topics that put him on the opposite side of an issue from the majority of the people in the district:
- he doesn't believe there's such a thing as a wage gap between men and women
- he was one of the 4 senators who started the Koch-Brodkorb scandal
- now costing Minnesota taxpayers $100,000+, so much for fiscal responsibility
- he endorsed Rick Santorum for president
- at a SW Metro Tea Party meeting, he called citizens advocating for more education funding "pigs"
- he favored a state shutdown over any tax increases
- he opposes light rail transit, which the majority of people in our district support
- he single-handedly blocked $25 million in federal health care grants last summer
- he's signed Grover Norquist's pledge
- he's lectured Archbishop Nienstedt, not known for his liberal positions, as "endorsing the socialist fiction that it is a moral necessity to take the property of the 'wealthy' to serve the poor."
- he has been a climate change denier, and if it is happening, he doesn't believe humans have anything to do with any changes.
What does it take to win this race? The maximum a first-time candidate can spend on a State Senate race is $75,000. We know we need to do this. We know that the majority of those funds have to go to direct mail. How does that break down?
We've got a mailing universe of around 22,000 addresses. It will cost us around 50¢ to print and mail a postcard to each address. That multiplies out to a cost of $11,000 per mailing. To be effective, we need to do 6 mailings. That means $66,000 of our $75,000 budget needs to go toward direct mail. That also means that each $50 check we get translates into 100 mailers … and that's a big deal
On the volunteer front, even though we've reached 4,000 voters, that translates to making 9,150 attempts to reach people. That leaves us over 30,000 people yet to touch in the district. We have people helping with phoning and knocking … but you can see that we really need "all hands on deck" to make change happen.
With your support, we can. So, please contribute and volunteer. Contributions can be made out to McKendry for Minnesota Senate and sent to 13012 Jane Ln, Minnetonka, MN 55343 or, made online athttp://mckendryforsenate.org/contribute.
Please send this info on to all your progressive friends and relatives! Even your not so progressive friends so they know what David Hann is really like. Invite them to come to Drinking Liberally Hopkins and to support Laurie in her bid to defeat David Hann. A few dollars make a big difference in our local races!
Drinking Liberally Hopkins meets every 3rd Monday