|Sent on:||Monday, December 3, 2012 5:23 PM|
For this salon we will base our discussion in a very interesting report called "life in the valley economy- saving the middle class: lessons from silicon valley 2012" which highlights the inequality as highlighted by occupy.
We will focus on the Summary and Intro, the report is online for download at http://www.wpusa.org/LIVE
See you there!
Some key findings
- from 2000 to 2012 real median household income fell by 19.5%
- latino and african american household fared even worse - each experienced a drop of 29%
- the portion of silicon valley households in the secure middle class dropped from 62 to 55%while the number of households making less than$10,000 more than doubled
- by[masked] out of 3 households in santa clara county had an income too low to meet the basic standard of self sufficiency
- inequality is now reaching levels that threaten silicon valley's famed engine of growth. the region has not added a single new net job in 16 years (not to mention it is wrong and unfair)
recently san jose passed a new minimum wage
For more details, see the full listing:
When: Tuesday, December 4,[masked]:30 PM
Where: Red Rock
201 Castro St
Mountain View, CA 94041
This Meetup repeats every week on Tuesday.
If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Yes".)
You can always get in touch with me through my group profile on Meetup.