PolyglotVancouver Message Board › Another great event you'll like (distributed systems, devops, nosql, fault t

Another great event you'll like (distributed systems, devops, nosql, fault tolerance, message queuing, beer)

This message board is read-only.

Tavis R.
tavisrudd
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Yurii Rashkovskii, one of the PolyglotConf organizers, is planning a conference on July 28. Its name might give you the wrong idea so I'll tell you a bit about it first.

It's a one day event that will cover many of the topics that were popular at PolyglotConf, but in greater depth via formal talks from serious experts. You'll get an intense dose that will cure your buzzword cravings: big data, nosql, Riak and mongodb, high performance distributed systems, fault tolerance, elastic scaling, functional programming (I could go on, but that's enough). Yurii has a great line-up of international speakers from Opscode (makers of Chef), Heroku, Basho (makers of Riak, one of the best nosql dbs), and Codecentric. I'll also be doing another of my voice programming stand-up routines if you like that sort of thing. I *think* there are sponsored drinks afterwards.

Erlang Factory Lite Vancouver (part of a very successful international series)

http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/Vancouver2012­

http://lanyrd.com/2012/erlang-factory-lite-vancouver/

Don't let the name trick you into thinking that it's for Erlang / FP nuts only. This is the language that brought us Rabbitmq, Couchdb, Riak, AWS SimpleDB, ejabberd. It has had a huge influence on distributed systems in other languages. Akka, which Jeremy's talk at our meetup will cover, was directly inspired by Erlang. If you know nothing about Erlang, don't worry as there are a ton of useful concepts to learn from it that don't require understanding the syntax. If you do want to learn some Erlang, Yurii is teaching a one day intro course on the 27th.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Tavis