Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Newsletter Email Discussions › Portland Bike Happenings Next Week

Portland Bike Happenings Next Week

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
News from the Portland Bicycle Commuting Meetup

Featuring bike news around town, welcome to new members, and your bonus bike cartoon!

Special Note: Please note the Great Maine Bike Swap on Sunday, April 10. I am in charge of the test ride area, and I need volunteers! Please contact me if you are interested in volunteering.

WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK!

Saturday, April 02, 9:00 AM
Traffic Skills 101, Concord NH, Part 1

This class is designed to give cyclists of all experience levels the confidence and knowledge they need to ride safely and legally in traffic or on trails. It covers topics such as bike safety checks, the basics of traffic laws as they pertain to cycling, taking a lane safely, on-the-bike skills, and crash avoidance techniques. Student handout materials will be provided, and written and road exams are also part of the course. It is approximately a ten-hour class composed of indoor sessions in conjunction with on-the-bike training. You will learn and be graded on a handful of on-the-bike skills. It prepares cyclists of all levels for a full understanding of the concept of ""vehicular cycling"". The class is recommended for adults and children above age eighteen.

This twelve-hour class consists of two consecutive Saturday sessions: April 2nd and April 9th, 2011, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm each day. Class size is limited to 16, so early registration is recommended. All registrations must be received by March 30.

Preregistration is required. To preregister for this class, send a completed Traffic Skills101 registration form and a check for $60.00 (discount available -- see below) payable to ""Bike-Walk Alliance of New Hampshire"" (or BWA-NH) to Paula Bedard, 36 Shirley Park Road, Goffstown, NH 03045. For questions, contact Paula at pbedard1@comcast.net. Registration cut-off date is March 30.

Please note that if you can show proof of a valid membership to a bicycle advocacy organization, such as League of American Bicyclists (LAB), Bicycle Coalition of Maine (BCM), Bike-Walk Alliance of NH (BWANH), Central NH Bike Colatition (CNHBC), MassBike, etc., you are eligible to receive a $10 discount on the class registration fee.

-----

Sunday, April 03, 7:30 PM
Film: With My Own Two Wheels

Sunday 04.03.2011, Space Gallery, Doors at 7:00 PM, Starts at 7:30 PM, Ends at 9:30 PM, $7 / $5 for SPACE Members, All Ages

Buy tickets here­.

For many Americans, the bicycle is a choice. An expensive toy. An eco-conscious mode of transportation. For countless others across the globe, it is much more.

For Fred, a health worker in Zambia, the bicycle is a means of reaching twice as many patients. For Bharati, a teenager in India, it provides access to education. For Mirriam, a disabled Ghanaian woman, working on bicycles is an escape from the stigma attached to disabled people in her community. For Carlos, a farmer in Guatemala, pedal power is a way to help neighbors reduce their impact on the environment. For Sharkey, a young man in California, the bicycle is an escape from the gangs that consume so many of his peers.

With My Own Two Wheels weaves together the experiences of these five individuals into a single story about how the bicycle can change the world -- one pedal stroke at a time.

Q&A with filmmaker Jacob Seigel-Boettner. Proceeds to benefit World Bicycle Relief.

»More info

COMING SOON

Sat Apr 09, 9:00 AM - Traffic Skills 101, Concord NH, Part 2
Sun Apr 10, 10:00 AM - Great Maine Bike Swap - Portland
Mon Apr 11, 5:30 PM - Portland Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Tue Apr 12, 5:30 PM - Portland Green Drinks

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS

Nancy St Laurent (Mar 25): Hi, I am an avid cyclist and with the price of gas these days have decided to start commuting to work.

HAVE FUN, RIDE SAFE!