Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Recurring Topics › ANyone have a set of "Trekking" Bars? "Hybrid Bars"

ANyone have a set of "Trekking" Bars? "Hybrid Bars"

John P.
JohnFP
Portland, ME
Post #: 1
Im looking for the type of handlebars that have multiple hand positions. They kind of wrap around like "built in" bar ends. Im not sure of the term. Anyone?

Thanks!
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 311
Yep, trekking bars. I don't have any but you can get them through Velo Orange for pretty cheap. QBP doesn't offer them nor do any of the smaller suppliers such as Downeast, J&B or Action.
John P.
JohnFP
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Hey thanks for the reply. I can order them online easily enough. I just want some really quick. I checked 4 LBS's today, and came up short. 'Pretty disappointed with that. Im all for supporting the local shops, but jeesh, have some stock. Its not like they're cheaper than online.
A former member
Post #: 846
I got some Trekking bars from Nashbar for $14 on sale a couple of years ago. Looks like they are out of stock currently. I've never seen them in the local shops. Good luck.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 312
I checked 4 LBS's today, and came up short. 'Pretty disappointed with that. Im all for supporting the local shops, but jeesh, have some stock. Its not like they're cheaper than online.

Yea... I agree most shops don't offer a wide enough array of options - handlebars are certainly no exception. Still though, I'd gauge the interest in these bars to be less than lukewarm. I've had one person ask for them, besides yourself, in three years working at a bike shop off and on. That's not the kind of turnaround most bike shops are looking for, especially when they're struggling to pay bills as it is. You can "have some stock" all you want but it's very difficult for a business owner to see any good in that stock collecting dust awaiting that one customer out of hundreds of thousands.
Also, as I stated with my first comment, NONE of the major bike shop suppliers offer trekking bars - it's possible that some buyers working for some bike shops don't even know trekking bars exist.
It's very noble of you to want to support local bike shops and that is definitely a great way to live. Still though, with some things such as the extremely esoteric and marginal bits of the diaspora that is the bicycle component world, it's best to cut your losses and buy online. Don't hold it against them. Bring the bars and bike to the shop so we can install the bars, shifters, grips and anything else on your bike for you - and do come again!
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 302
Hey thanks for the reply. I can order them online easily enough. I just want some really quick. I checked 4 LBS's today, and came up short. 'Pretty disappointed with that. Im all for supporting the local shops, but jeesh, have some stock. Its not like they're cheaper than online.

I've kind of given up on finding what I want at local shops since I tried to find some decent pedals and toe clips: plastic...plastic...really cheap plastic...

Thanks, but I'd rather have something made out of this novel material called "metal" with bearings that I can service when they wear out. I suppose I'm not the typical customer, though. Most of them are probably either going to be looking for clipless pedals or something cheap.

I just ended up buying them online from some place like Bikeman or Alfred E. Bike.
A former member
Post #: 847
Ah, but when you order from Bikeman.com, it is supporting a LBS. Bikeman is Bath Cycle and Ski.

john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 313
I suppose I'm not the typical customer, though. Most of them are probably either going to be looking for clipless pedals or something cheap.

Definitely atypical. Most customers who are serious about cycling and want to drop coin go clipless.
Also, any of your serviceable bearing "metal" platform pedals can be special ordered through any local area bike shop. No, most don't stock the atypical, see my previous comment.
Bikeman is an online presence that directly reflects what is available in the QBP catalog and, as such, ALSO DOESN'T HAVE TREKKING BARS. ANy bike shop with a QBP account and an online "special order catalog" has the same thing. Bikeman's is much nicer looking and easy to navigate, though. Bravo.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 303
Ah, but when you order from Bikeman.com, it is supporting a LBS. Bikeman is Bath Cycle and Ski.

That's why I try to order from them whenever I can smile. Also, their shipping is pretty cheap since it doesn't have far to travel.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 314
Cross compare Bikeman.com's special order components menu with Gorham Bike's.
ANY bike shop with a QBP account - that is to say ANY bike shop - can get you this stuff. Bath Cycle does not have a magical basement containing all of these items.

Here's what Bath Cycle and Ski does: orders are placed through their QBP online catalog --> orders are relayed to their sub-contracted warehouse (shared by a number of online shops much like bikeman) near QBP's headquarters in Bloomington, Minnesota (a middleman between bicycle retailers and their few, yet mammoth, Taiwanese suppliers) --> items are boxed and shipped from QBP headquarters to the subcontracted warehouse --> yet another middleman is payed to unpack and repack items to ship to their New England customer base --> item show's up at your doorstep and customer apparently believes it came from Woolwich, Maine.

"Doesn't have far to travel"????