Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Summer 2012 Commuting Journal

Summer 2012 Commuting Journal

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,990
Wow, I saw 6 other bicyclists in a half mile stretch around the mall on my commute this morning! I think that's a new record!!
Lincoln P.
user 12657385
Portland, ME
Post #: 75
The city has just finished work relaying curbstones, repaving and repainting Congress Street between the Eastern Promenade and Washington Avenue. One new feature is a designated bike lane on the right (uphill) side of Congress between Washington and North Street (the fire station). There is not enough space for two bike lanes, but they probably assumed that going downhill bikes can keep pace with cars and don't slow things down if they take the lane. An intelligent design (note the indefinite article).

Now if they would only trim the tree whose branches block the traffic light on Washington so you judge whether you can make the light from the top of the hill.
Michie O.
michieoday
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
If you want to hear some good cycling stories, come to the Common Ground Fair. I'll be there this Saturday, 9/22, riding my new ICE trike in the HPV parade at 10 a.m., then to speak about my cycling adventures afterwards... in the bike tent (near the Rose gate) at 11:00. Should be a good time.
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 192
Maybe this belongs in the "How Safe Is Bicycling" forum.

I crashed on the road today. The roads were wet but fine and I turned into the sweeping turn into work at about 20mph. The new seal-coat is like Teflon and ice when wet. I watched as the bike slid out from under me and across the road. I followed. unfortunately it was warm out so the only layers I had on were skin. Some of those are gone now. No head strike, just a slide cafe racer style. I was riding on Big Apple tires which have pretty reliable traction and they went from grip to slip in zero flat.

The bike came out pretty good but can use a new pedal since the one on the slide side got smashed.

The elbow is sore but the whole forearm is skuffed. The side of my upper right leg looks the most impressive but this is a family forum so I'll refrain from posting pics of my azz on it.

Considering I went down on tar at a pretty good clip I didn't come out of it too bad.

Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 151
Ouch. I know the feeling. Water on fresh tar (or sealcoat) is scary. It seems like the oils come to the surface, and with a little water... you have a skating rink. I had to pick my way through the SP Greenbelt this morning because of all the debris and wet leaves.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 773
Yeah, I was noticing the water all beading up on the fresh Bridge Street paving and getting a bit nervous.