Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Mechanical Help › Mt. bike with higher handlebars - good hybrid alternative?

Mt. bike with higher handlebars - good hybrid alternative?

denise
user 4604461
Portland, ME
Post #: 57
In another post I discussed my surprise at how expensive it is to maintain my LL Bean Runaround Cruiser, ie hybrid bicycle. I shared about my recent visit to the LL Bean Bike & Ski shop hoping to find another, better bike – offering the same upright riding position, comfortable seat, and bike rack – but with better parts that would last longer.

My plan was to get a mid-range mt. bike (upto $600.00) and just add higher handlebars, change the seat and add a rack. I was thinking a mt. bike is designed to withstand greater abuse, therefore more likely to last longer than my hybrid.

I won’t go into everything that happened that day, but I will say every person I talked to at that shop, led me to believe something different about what was possible given my objective.

The very last person I spoke with, the manager of bike repairs, said what I wanted to do probably wasn’t a good idea. Most mt. bikes are not designed to work with higher handlebars and he couldn’t guarantee how well it would work if I tried it. Could be I would end up with something that doesn’t work well at all. He ended up suggesting I try the $600.00 LL Bean Sport Trail mt. bike (made by Schwinn) which already comes with a slightly higher handlebar setup than most mt. bikes and do a little adjusting, if necessary.

Can anyone comment about what the manager said?

Is it possible to buy a good-quality “hybrid” that will last a few years before needing any major repairs? (assuming I ride it 30-40 miles/week year round, mostly in the city, and I weigh between 200-240 lbs & will use it to carry groceries weighing 40 lbs or so).

How much would it cost?

What’s the best I can do for $600-$700?

Thanks.