Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Fall 2012 Commuting Journal

Fall 2012 Commuting Journal

john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 505
^Sure.

Attaches via a 5mm allen machine bolt through a nifty aluminum peg. It will attach to any part of your fork (mid -eyelet, fork-crown eyelet, fender or rack eyelet) that accepts 5mm machine bolts.

You thread it on hand tight, pop on a rubber endcap and mount your light to it.

I have two such peg mounts on both boss tweed and my Bianchi. I also purchased a second Planet Bike cam-lock mount for the other peg so all I have to do is slide the light on and off the cam-lock mount when selecting a different bike rather than reattaching the entire cam-lock mount.

So far it's worked great. I'm experiencing issues with the Planet Bike light itself, though, which seems to burn through batteries too fast. I might invest in a more sustainable (and much brighter) USB rechargeable headlamp.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 506
I've also used a light mount that serves as the nutted end of a front wheel skewer:
http://problemsolvers...­

I just preferred the versatility of the 5mm threaded mount. Plus, I would not be able to effectively use my theft-deterrent skewers if I used the nutted skewer end mount in the link above.

Just to clarify, the hardware on the 5mm threaded mount screws-in independent of the peg itself. You can't loosen or tighten the peg by grabbing hold of it, only by loosening or tightening the allen bolt inside.

On the Bianchi (the black fork pictured above), I had to flip the spoon of the skewer to the improper, drive-side location so as not to interfere with the light mount. This was the only drawback I've found thus far (which isn't really a drawback at all - just makes it look like I don't know how to load a wheel.)
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 782
Is today National Close Pass Day or something?
Derek P.
dpellet
Portland, ME
Post #: 72
I had a particularly unnecessary close pass this morning, too! On Vannah street after crossing Forest ave.
Dylan
user 12017541
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 67
Saw a well lit cyclist on rte 1 Scarborough, only problem was they were traveling AGAINST TRAFFIC in front of Maine Med! It's a hard section to navigate when coming from south Portland. I usually go through the Maine Med campus and then turn onto rte 1 at the light and continue WITH TRAFFIC. The merge with the 295 connector is dangerous enough in a car, I don't tempt it on a bike.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 423
Is today National Close Pass Day or something?
I had a particularly unnecessary close pass this morning, too! On Vannah street after crossing Forest ave.

Weird. I also had two close passes on Friday -- one with an obnoxious honk and one with an obnoxious "move over" hand signal. Both drivers could have passed in the oncoming lane, but unnecessarily buzzed me instead.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 783
Profiles in driver courage:

2 lanes of travel, I am controlling the right-most lane.

Driver from a ways back: honk

Driver from a bit closer, but not too close: honk

(stop at red light at entrance to north gate plaza on right)

Driver, directly behind me: (silence)

(green light, I go forward)

Driver, turning into Northgate: HOOOOONNNNNKKKK!!!!!

BONUS:

Much later on an empty road a jogger with his dog on the opposite side of the road: "hey buddy, can you move over to the other side of the white line?"

Me: no thanks, it's not a bike lane

Jogger: Asshole

Of course he's jogging in the shoulder where he would like bikes to be so this was puzzling.
Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 156
A deer crossed in front of me on the Greenbelt where it winds through the old landfill in South Portland. That was the highlight of an otherwise cool ride into work this morning. I look forward to having this lovely northeast wind at my back for the ride home.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 508
Broke out the ski helmet this morning. Glad I did! Mid-20's coming over the bridge and some considerable wind.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 784
Found out the winter bike was in much worse shape than I thought when I took it out of storage last night. Managed to get it rideable enough for this morning but it's going to need some more work!

A bit slushy, but didn't come across too much ice. The worst part of the ride was actually the cold headwinds on Riverside by the golf course. Fair enough, since I enjoyed them pushing me home last night!