Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Fall 2012 Commuting Journal

Fall 2012 Commuting Journal

Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 161
Thanks, Mike. Interesting that the law allows only a reflector in the rear. I am apparently in violation by not having reflectors on my pedals!
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 789
Most sneakers (and some cycling socks) have a bit of reflective patch on the back of them these days so you might be in compliance.
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 206
I've found these: Nathan Reflective Dots and Dashes to be highly reflective. I have them on the back of all my biking shoes. You can probably find them locally. They are a 2 layer stick on reflector that is a step above normal reflective tape. They also come in sheets with triangles.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 521
You can probably find them locally. They are a 2 layer stick on reflector that is a step above normal reflective tape. They also come in sheets with triangles.

We've got that exact sticker pack at GBS.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 2,007
Much later on an empty road a jogger with his dog on the opposite side of the road: "hey buddy, can you move over to the other side of the white line?"

Me: no thanks, it's not a bike lane

Jogger: Asshole

Of course he's jogging in the shoulder where he would like bikes to be so this was puzzling.

That's funny. I had a very similar experience a few years ago on Johnson Road past the airport. Controlling the right lane, a jogger on the sidewalk called me the same name. (Maybe the same guy?)
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 2,008
I had a potentially dangerous situation last week that reinforced the idea of always looking over my shoulder (or in a mirror, if I used one) whenever I start to make a move, no matter how unlikely it seems that I should need to. I was going home, approaching a left turn from Saco Street onto a residential street, Bernadette, so no traffic light or stop sign on Saco. I had been signaling left, and moved over to the center of the road with plenty of reaction time to the car driver behind me. There is a good amount of space for cars to pass me on the right as I sit in the middle to turn, and they often do, so I kind of expected that. There was also a car stopped on Bernadette waiting to turn onto Saco. I happened to look over my left shoulder before starting to turn, and there was the car that had been behind me, pulled completely into the opposing lane and PASSING ME ON MY LEFT, just as I was getting ready to turn left, AND while he was approaching an intersection. I had enough time to slow down and let him go on, offering him a choice adjective as he passed, and as I turned afterward, I yelled to the driver who had been sitting on Bernadette, "GOOD THING I LOOKED!" (Good thing he didn't start turning right either.) I glanced briefly at the offending car's license plate, but didn't bother to memorize it, deciding I'd rather let it go and just get home and have supper. I realized later a police report may actually have been more productive than usual, had I been able to get the driver on Bernadette to be a witness, but oh well. What a bonehead. Hopefully when he does eventually get into a crash, it will be with another car and not a bicyclist.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 2,009
So, what about this new color scheme? I think the blurry lights are kind of evocative of our evening commutes this time of year, and also of the holiday lights. It seemed to be kind of sudden to go right from the flower theme (which I admit was way overdue for a change) to the winter ice theme. Maybe this will do through December.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 790
Much better color scheme!

Note from this morning's ride: Brown/tan Mazda XUV standard Maine plates H82BAIL also "H8"s to give much clearance when passing bikes.

Hopefully when he does eventually get into a crash, it will be with another car and not a bicyclist.
John, no need to drag another motorist into his doom!
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 207
So, what about this new color scheme? I think the blurry lights are kind of evocative of our evening commutes this time of year, and also of the holiday lights. It seemed to be kind of sudden to go right from the flower theme (which I admit was way overdue for a change) to the winter ice theme. Maybe this will do through December.
I like them...once I figured out that I was still at the right site. That's not unlike the view through water smeared double pane goggles at night. (Maybe approaching an accident scene)

Messy out there this morning.
Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 162
I like the new color scheme. Very festive. Nasty commute this morning. I thought I had timed it to avoid most of the rain, but the "heavy drizzle" with the north wind was worse than expected. Shoes are currently stuffed with newspaper.