Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Winter 2012/2013 Commuting Journal

Winter 2012/2013 Commuting Journal

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 2,020
If you get any fatbikes, we should have a Fatbike Test Ride meetup!

I went with the commercial handwarmers in the mittens today, and will do the same tomorrow.

Seemed time to change over to the "Frosted" theme, although I was still enjoying the lights too.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 796
I'm pretty sure I have some of those handwarmers around the house. I'll have to find them. On my old commute my hands would get their coldest around mile 3, then warm up gradually at least somewhat over the next three/four miles (I assume as my core realized it wasn't going to freeze and released bloodflow to my extremities). Now my ride ends after three miles, so I go inside while my fingers are frozen and they warm up all at once and OW OW OW. Otherwise, good socks and ski helmet (and face mask) plus the XC ski pants I picked up last year keep me nice and warm.
paul j.
enzo-from-maine
Portland, ME
Post #: 58
i would love to try a fat bike. i saw a fat pugsley last year during trip to Wisconsin. it was in a TREK store in Madison. if i had $1750 in my pocket i would have bought it shipped it to Maine. i should have asked them to let me try it.
If an LBS (hint hint -Fred and john b.) want to do a public demo in snOW the company should provide a couple fat bikes as a marketing thing.
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 212
Did I have an anti-fatbike stance? I don't recall.
I just remember a post you made after riding one exclaiming about the 10 PSI tires after a trade show but maybe it wasn't anti. You might not be able to claim you never paid over $1000 for a bike if you go fat, the fricken tires run around $100 each unless you go for the 45 North Dillinger $225 each shock

I'd love a chance to try out a fatbike in the right snow, specifically snow I can't take my mountain bike on because it is too soft. The Moonlander is out of my price range.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 528
If an LBS (hint hint -Fred and john b.) want to do a public demo in snOW the company should provide a couple fat bikes as a marketing thing.

Well, neither Fred nor I control where the shop's money goes, especially when it comes to marketing. As I said before, though, Jamie, the shop's sole owner/ proprietor (who is not Fred, despite popular impression), and myself are on the same page when it comes to fatbikes. We want to own them for ourselves, ride them for fun and sell a range of fatbikes through the shop. We're at an impasse, though, with extremely limited availability and vague re-order dates. We're also trying to do this at the peak of fatbike interest season.
A public demo, like the ones we did with Santa Cruz, Giant and Specialized over the past summer, takes major involvement from the manufacturer. I don't expect Surly/ QBP to do that. I'd rather if they just stayed in Minnesota and manufactured more fatbikes so we can actually order one.
I was talking fatbike rental "fleet" (realistically, 3 bikes in M, L, XL) back in July but my idea was brushed off. Maybe over this coming summer, during one of our Surly re-orders, they'll listen to the guy who prefers to plan ahead.

Greenbelt Trail in SoPo has been maintained (not cleared) and heavily compacted by users. I've been taking the multi-use path on the east end of the Casco Bay Bridge to work. That's also nicely cleared. The large snowbank facing the road also acts as a windbreak. No issue with cold hands as of yet on my short ~3 mile commute. My hands do get numb in spots from the rumble of rutted snow under my tires, though.
paul j.
enzo-from-maine
Portland, ME
Post #: 59
i did a short ride from anthoine to ferry vilage on green belt new years day. it was fun. good exercise!. ...mostly packed snow like you said with a few icy spots. i tried going the other direction towards but the driveways were plowed in a way that dumped snow on walks and path.

As temp improves i wil try a ride to east end beach by paths this weekend. i got to get out the house.

I did notice (from a car) that the path on VETERANS bidge looked useable. Both ends of VET bridge have been paved since i last rode it.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 529
I just remember a post you made after riding one exclaiming about the 10 PSI tires after a trade show but maybe it wasn't anti.

Nah, but climbing was a bit of a chore. Sort of the idea, though.
You might not be able to claim you never paid over $1000 for a bike if you go fat, the fricken tires run around $100 each unless you go for the 45 North Dillinger $225 each
You're right! But, if I'm going to break that trend it may as well be with a bike that can't be made from a repurposed older frame (at least at my skill level). A Moonlander will still be a bit hard for me to legitimize financially, even with my below-wholesale discount as a Surly dealer. Maybe if I ever get a credit card... (Part of my New Year's resolution)
Here's an interesting blog post about making studded tires out of some newer ~$100/ each Surly tires. Given the cost of the Dilingers, maybe not such an insane investment, even at a puke-worthy $1 a stud?
I've been researching, among lots of other things concerning fatbikes, my tire choice. I think I'll be going with the Big Fat Larry's (which I've seen photos of indeed fitting in a Pugsley/ Necromancer frame). There are some cheap fatbike tire options out there (notably on eBay) that would likely make a great homemade studded tire option.

I'd love a chance to try out a fatbike in the right snow, specifically snow I can't take my mountain bike on because it is too soft.

Me too. I've ridden fat on hardpack and frozen lake, which I already have a bike more or less designed for. I'm most interested in the fatbike's performance in accumulated, loose snow. It's not a deal breaker for me that I can't test one in those conditions prior to sinking the most money I've ever put into a bike. If a fatbike doesn't perform well in loose snow, I'm not sure what would. Ktrak?
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 213
$1/stud is puke worthy. That makes my Nokian Extremes worth around $600 for the pair, and I have 2 pair and some Mount and Grounds! Interesting idea for my wife's foul weather running shoes currently with sheet metal screws installed. I'll probably wait until some other tire manufacturers enter the ring before I go that route for the fatbike.

I love running the trails with the studded tires. It makes the icy spots the fast spots, not the deadly spots. Speaking of that, with this weeks cold my lake crossing route should be opening for the year soon, like maybe tomorrow.
Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 163
Speaking of fatbikes, check this one out on NH Craigslist....Search under bikes: Iditarod. Listed Dec 26.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 530
http://nh.craigslist....­

That is cool. Especially like the fork, rims and the fact it's made in the U.S. I'd be interested to know how large a tire the frame/ fork accepts as it was manufactured well before the newer, approaching 5" wide tires.

The build, component-wise, is similar to most stock fatbikes today in that it's 9-speed with mechanical disc.

Those look to be some fairly nice quality, if a bit dated, components. Very fair asking price.