Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Fall 2013 Commuting Journal

Fall 2013 Commuting Journal

mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 833
Even though it might hit 80 degrees on Wednesday (!) since it's October and everything is pumpkin-flavored and at least a few leaves are changing color I think it's time to move from on from the summer thread. So welcome to fall everyone but don't pack away those shorts just yet.
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 260
Well, it felt fall like today. Foggy too. My wife joined me on the trails this morning.

mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 834
Great picture! Definitely a lot of fog to deal with this morning.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 2,053
Brrr.... Under 40* for the morning commute! First use of ear warmers this season, and the third for full-finger gloves.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 836
Yes, I've had to hang up the shorts for the last couple of mornings. I've been using light-weight full finger gloves since it hit the 40s though. I've got some new gloves to try when the weather gets colder - hopeful they will do the trick this year. My fingers are definitely my weak point in terms of keeping warm. On the other hand, I don't really need a hat until it drops below 30 :)
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 261
The temps were hovering right around freezing this morning. You know you've biked through a few winters when freezing seems like a fine temp to ride.

Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 262
Good morning Mike ('cause nobody else seems to be around) smile

I rode the Dempsey Challenge Century on Sunday but it didn't keep me from doing the commute on Monday and Tuesday. It did keep me from doing it fast.
http://thecandidcycli...­
Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 179
A bit cooler in the mornings, but still great riding weather. Lights are all charged up for when we change the clocks at the end of the month. Then the commute home will be in the dark. For some reason, I view the change with some anticipation, but the first ride in the dark is always fun. Actually, I came home from a meeting along the Eastern Trail in pitch darkness a few weeks ago (with my lights of course). What a blast. I had 5 miles of flat, straight trail all to myself (Cascade Rd in OOB to Black Point Rd in Scarborough). Didn't see any wildlife, but heard some rustling in the bushes that scared the crap out of me.
Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 180
Wicked warm tailwind this morning
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 837
I had it more as a sidewind, but it was nice to ride in shorts/tshirt again :)

Looks like we should have at least 50 degrees for Cranksgiving tomorrow!