Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Recurring Topics › The Close Call Thread

The Close Call Thread

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,443
Today, I learned that a little boy was struck by a car in front of Deering High School while riding his bike to school. I don't know his name, only that he is the son a friend's co-worker and that the boy went to the hospital for a CAT scan.

This is obviously troubling. I rode to school with my kids to two schools today, as I do on most days. School zones are busy and chaotic at times. I left work early to pick my youngest up before school let out today. It was hard to focus on work hearing that news anyway.

Yesterday I heard from someone who knows my name and who is a friend of the boy's family. It sounds like it was a classic right-hook collision, with the motorist a 16-year-old (maybe a Deering student?) who didn't use his turn signal. He said the boy was taken to the hospital with "a lacerated kidney as well as the usual bumps and bruises." That sounds to me like he will be okay, but of course his family would like to recoup the medical and bike replacement costs. He said the police did take a cursory report, but left before the ambulance arrived. That's all I know.

I'd be curious to know if the boy was on the sidewalk or in the street. In that location, in front of a school with a lot of drop-off and parking activity, it's hard for an untrained bicyclist to find a totally safe place. The right-hook is a classic collision type for sidewalk and other "off to the side" riding, yet a young untrained cyclist in the road is likely putting themselves at risk of opening doors or swerving without looking into overtaking traffic. I'm not sure there's a good answer other than more bicycle education in schools.

Of course, legally, the motorist might be able to be cited for unsafe turning, depending on the circumstance. He (assuming he) was obviously in violation of not signaling a turn.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,444
My boss just told me about having witnessed the immediate aftermath of a cyclist hit in South Portland yesterday, by Amato's. He said the police had arrived but not the ambulance yet, and it didn't look good to him. Anyone know anything about this?
Julie F.
user 11834930
Portland, ME
Post #: 11
Another incident in my neighborhood - but worse than a close call.

Today, I learned that a little boy was struck by a car in front of Deering High School while riding his bike to school. I don't know his name, only that he is the son a friend's co-worker and that the boy went to the hospital for a CAT scan.

This is obviously troubling. I rode to school with my kids to two schools today, as I do on most days. School zones are busy and chaotic at times. I left work early to pick my youngest up before school let out today. It was hard to focus on work hearing that news anyway.

If I hear more about what happened I will post here on Tuesday.

I have few details about this incident to add, but this is what I know: the car driver was a 16 year-old and (s)he turned right, without signaling and hit a child riding his bike. The child suffered internal injuries and is home recovering.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 547
white sedan, license plate MOXIFAN or MOXIEFAN (I think the former): excessive engine revving and close-passing on Riverside near Hannaford. No great harm aside from making me grumpy.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 548
I can now confirm it is MOXIFAN and add unnecessary honking to the list this morning. Farther along Riverside, near where it goes under the highway.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,625
Hope it doesn't escalate. But I know I can trust you to keep your cool and represent bicyclists well if you get into any "discussions".
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 112
...but that Baldwin guy...
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 312
Got hit on purpose again this morning. sad

I was headed west on Pleasant Hill Road in Brunswick, riding on the white line, when I looked at my mirror and noticed a car approaching from behind that was on a path to sideswipe me.

There was no oncoming traffic and I was already quite far to the right so I motioned with my left arm for the driver to move farther left. Instead, he kept on his course and ran into my left arm with his car as he went by.

He then slammed on the brakes in front of me so I swerved left to avoid hitting him. As I passed the driver's door he said, "You want to try that again?" and lurched the car forward and to the left, hitting my leg with the left front fender.

I wobbled for a little bit from the collision and then fell to the ground directly in front of the car. He lurched the car forward again, hitting my body with the front end of the car while I was trying to stand up.

He then backed up and sped off around me towards Freeport.

Brunswick police ran the plates, which didn't match the vehicle*, so they said the only thing they could do was keep an eye out for the car around town.

Anyone in the Brunswick/Freeport area, watch out for a greenish-blue Chevy Malibu sedan (with illegally-attached license plate 2639 HV) driven by a 20-something, skinny, trailer-trashy white guy with reddish-brown hair and a mustache.

*Side discussion: I really wish the cops would start cracking down on illegally-attached plates. It's been my experience that if I report a dangerous driver and they run the plates while I'm on the phone, a surprising percentage of them do not match the vehicle -- even when I'm positive that I got the plate number right.
Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 131

The only thing the police could do was "keep an eye out" for the car? It sounds like there could be some very serious charges here, given that the guy essentially attacked you with his car. This guy is dangerous.
A former member
Post #: 854
I am at a loss for words. I am happy you are okay. If this happened to me, I don't know what I would do. I think I might rig a helmet cam, and take digital recordings of my travels.

http://www.amazon.com...­