Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Winter 2013/2014 Commuting Journal

Winter 2013/2014 Commuting Journal

mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 839
Well, no better day than this to start the Winter chapter!

Set off this morning about a half hour after the snow started and gave my new winter bike its first proper workout. Did about 9 miles on a mix of visible road and light crusts of snow. Felt great! It looks like the snowfall is at least pausing for now, so it should be a pleasant ride home here in a few inches of snow. Thankful that it never changed to rain and made a slushtastic mess as forecast!

Added bonus is that I got the christmas tree lights (and a wreath made of jingle bells) onto the bike Friday night for a party so I'm all set in terms of maximum visibility and festiveness :)
Derek P.
dpellet
Portland, ME
Post #: 93
Yeah, the morning rides both yesterday and today were fine with my winter tires. The ride home last night was a bit more dicey. My traction on the roads was fine; the problem was my vision. It's very hard to see through ice-crusted glasses especially when you add in the glare off of headlights and tail lights. Other than planning ahead and wearing contacts on those days, does anyone else have any solutions for the icy glasses problem?
Dan H.
user 72654382
Portland, ME
Post #: 14
The only thing that works for me in winter is my old pair of Scott ski goggles with the clear lens. They also don't fog up when I have my face mask on. This was a tip I got from another meetup person whose name escapes me but want to pass on the credit and thanks
paul j.
enzo-from-maine
Portland, ME
Post #: 64
Hey Dan and everyone,
I have used goggles too. A bit of an adjustment getting the helmet, bala clava and goggles together. It works if I get it just right.
Today was day 3 on icy roads/paths. I used my bike with studded 32mm tires at a modest pressure. It is always a bit of readjustment regarding speed reduction and not leaning in turns. Gave up the sloppy Casco Bay Bridge this week for the relaxing path on the Veterans bridge. Intersections and balancing on icy downgrades are the only challenging part. Really should have taken those ballet lessons as a child.

Temps tomorrow look dreadful. I‘ll have to look around for the car keys.

Ps, First Friday Art was fun. 5 of us met with friendly and fearless nicki . We enjoyed a ‘bike walk’ down congress which was closed to cars and bike riding. Then a ride to narrow gauge railroad polar express, to east end beach, up the prom and down congress street from its origin. Meet again Jan 3 at 7pm at monument square.
Bob B.
user 3380725
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 181
Well, it looks like I am having a string of bad luck. A couple of weeks ago, I got hit by a car coming home from work. First time in 35 years of commuting. Fortunately, the car just tapped my rear wheel. Toasted the wheel, but I never went down and the rest of the bike is fine. Today, I wiped out on a patch of sand making a sweeping left turn onto Highland Ave in Scarborough. Ouch! Other than a couple of raspberries on my knee and hip, and and a sore shoulder, feeling OK.

I hope I don't dissuade anyone from winter riding, but BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
Derek P.
dpellet
Portland, ME
Post #: 94
I'm sorry to hear that Bob. Glad that you are okay. I'm also impressed at your handling skills that allowed you to be hit by a car sufficiently to toast the rear wheel but not knock you off.
The ride in this morning was pretty nice. I was very appreciative of the cold temps for keeping the snow on the roads nice and compact rather than soft as it no doubt would have been if the temps were slightly warmer. I'm hoping the same holds true tonight.
Dan H.
user 72654382
Portland, ME
Post #: 15
Glad you're ok, Bob; it is getting a bit dicey out there. I was encouraged that motorists were courteous this morning on the Casco Bay Bridge as I had to move slightly into the vehicle lane in places where the bike lane was too snotty for me. Cold weather gear check this morning: Bike passed, socks failed.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 840
I added one heavy layer too many yesterday, thinking that it would be fine with the short commute I had planned for the morning. Wrong! Arrived overheated everywhere except for my frozen hands! Much nicer this morning of course, even with the light snowfall.
paul j.
enzo-from-maine
Portland, ME
Post #: 65
did not attempt to bike today as the snow clearing crews inadvertantly filled in the trails and and walks in SP and pedestrian easements across the veterans memorial bridge . cars win. try again tomorrow.
Derek P.
dpellet
Portland, ME
Post #: 95
I have a friend that had his rear cog freeze on him today. I didn't see the bike but he said he was unable to pedal. I haven't had that problem and suspect it is a lubrication issue. Any recommendations?