Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Inquiry about the Railroad trail between Windham and Westbrook

Inquiry about the Railroad trail between Windham and Westbrook

Rene
user 10457521
Windham, ME
Post #: 16
Spring/Summer/Fall - is the railbed trail that goes from Windham to Westbrook passable without full suspension mountain bike or at all? I'm making preliminary plans to bike commute from South Windham to Portland and I am exploring all possible routes to get me there and back. River road is pretty intimidating. :-) The safest way for me is to take Anderson Road to Duck Pond Road to Brook Street to Blackstrap Road to Summit street to Ledgewood Drive to Presumpscott Street but that route adds about 5 extra miles to the commute.

Thanks for any feedback you might have.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 843
The last I heard, the railbed trail was still being constructed so it's just gravel and RR ties for now and not very bike friendly (unless you have one of those fat tire bikes). The trail site hasn't been updated in a while but you could contact them for more info.

Rene
user 10457521
Windham, ME
Post #: 17
Thanks Mike. I would also welcome an analysis of my projected commute route with pointers from anyone who knows any stretch of the sections I outlined above.
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 264
Hi Brambor,
That part of the trail is officially closed. I attempted to ride the Sebago to Sea trail last summer from Sebago to Sea. I figured I'd try that section if it looked possible. I aborted and cut through a farm after I'd had enough of riding on the tracks. There's a picture of it on my blog.
http://thecandidcycli...­

Your route looks like it avoids most of the bad roads. you might find that 302 from the intersection with Duck Pond is pretty bike friendly (the section that Duck Pond cuts off is not) and that would save you from going across to Blackstrap. Once you get a few rides under your belt you'll have a good sense of what is comfortable and not.
Rene
user 10457521
Windham, ME
Post #: 18
Thanks for the info Brian. Too bad on the news of the railroad ties. That section would be an ideal connector between Windham and Portland.

I will try a few variations before I settle on a routine run.

I love your blog. Read back until Feb 2013...very inspirational thank you.
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 265
Thanks for the compliments on the blog.
I found this:
Currently, engineering is being done on the 5 mile section of trail from Route 202 in S. Windham to Bridge St. in Westbrook. Windham and Westbrook have jointly submitted an application to fund construction of the MDT on this section. This will bring the MDT to within 5 miles of Portland. Portland Trails and The Sebago To The Sea are both working on making trail connections between Portland and Westbrook.
http://gorhambike.com...­
Rene
user 10457521
Windham, ME
Post #: 19
Good news! Thanks. Seemed that last year they were doing some reconstruction on the tracks. Perhaps part of some government grant but I was puzzled at the endeavor.