Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Recurring Topics › Bicycle Commuters in the Arts and Social Scene

Bicycle Commuters in the Arts and Social Scene

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 760
For a while I was posting music events on our calendar in which our membership is involved, but that's going to be hard to keep up to date. So here is a thread on which those of you involved in musical groups and art shows can post information about what you are doing that you would like others to come and see!

All musicians, artists, and performers are welcome!

Here's some repeating events that I know about. Please add to this thread as necessary, either repeating or one-time events.

Musicians

* ¡Tango Mucha Labia! is a tango quartet featuring all bike commuters, including member Liz Trice on bass. They play at the North Star Cafe on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month. Beginning tango lessons at 7, dancing starts at 8!

* Murray's Rule includes member Jeremy Fink on keyboards, and plays classic rock and R&B at the Dogfish Bar & Grille on the first Saturday of each month.

* Jim Tasse plays acoustic guitar and sings original music and whatever other folk-y stuff catches his ear. He was one of the entertainers at the Green Streets First Anniversary Party at Slainte this past October. Not sure if he has a regular gig at the moment, so please check back.

DJ's

* Join DJ Adira (a.k.a. ­Emma Holder) on Fridays from 10:30 am to noon for a bombastic mixture of music to shake and stir you up. Grooves and Tunes ranging from Bellydance to Tango, Flamenco to Cuban, Gypsy to Latin; this program will get you shimmying in your seat, if not up and dancing in the aisles.

* ­Gail Wartell has hosted the ­Sunday Simcha radio program on Sunday morning for over 15 years, one of only a handful of Jewish music radio shows in the United States and one of only a very few to feature modern, diverse, and cutting-edge recordings. Gail also participates in ­Tuesday Night Talk Radio Club, a radio magazine, produced by a group of WMPG volunteers. Both Gail and Emma have have hosted discussion of green transportation transportation on their shows, with guests that include John Brooking of this Meetup and Sarah Cushman of Portland Green Streets.

* ­Lukaduke is a selector for a reggae soundsystem known as Cognizant Sound, and frequently plays @ the EMPIRE, as well as other occasional gigs. He also hosts the GET COGNIZANT show on WMPG every Sunday morning from 1am-3:30am.

Artists

* Jody Desjardins blogs about his ART, bikes, and life at ­kingcheddar.blogspot.com.

* Besides being excellent with bike mechanics and an organizer for The League of Young Voters, ­Katie Diamond is also does art, comix, and graphics, shown on her website.

* Besides being a DJ at WMPG, ­Gail Wartell is also an artist, whose influences include reptiles, plants, science fiction & Jewish spirituality. See her art on her website, TurtleSong­.

* Besides his DJ and sound mixing work, ­Lukaduke is also an artist, creating abstracted landscape paintings that he feels mimic the natural occurrences of our landscape. Examples of his work may be seen ­here, with the promise of a more complete website sometime in 2009.

* Mary Brooking, spouse of John Brooking, is an active acrylic painter who displays her expressionist landscapes at various places around Southern Maine. See her work at her website (which she designed and John coded).

Please support your fellow bike commuting arts people, and help build the bicycle commuting/arts scene in Portland!

lukaduke
user 7354623
Portland, ME
Post #: 93
Nice thread John !

A little background on myself.... I am a selector for a reggae soundsystem known as Cognizant Sound outa Portland ME and Philly, PA. I frequently play @ the EMPIRE ( just had a big show there last night actually) and have also perfromed @ the SPACE, White Heart, Asylum, Bubbas, Big Easy, Casco Bay Cruiselines, Sugarloaf etc etc.

I also host a show entitled "GET COGNIZANT" every Sunday morning from 1am-3:30am on WMPG

For more info visit cognizantsound orDJ Lukaduke

Also I have my BFA in painting from Maine College of Art. I am actually stepping back from music for the rest of the winter in order to concentrate more heavily on a new body of work that ironically revolves around landscapes and bicycles...stay tuned for a big event happening this summer !

a press release....

Press Release.....

"Press Release"

A Cognizant Artist

Lukaduke's paintings are an answer for an equation that ceases to exist. The swirling patterns of color and forms merge into a glimpse behind the eye of New England's edgiest landscape painter.

Born and raised in Massachusetts, Luke Fuller better known as Lukaduke, among family and friends, moved up to Portland, ME in order to obtain a BFA in painting from the Maine College of Art in 2001. Here in Maine he has enjoyed a positive and fertile atmosphere in which to create his art. His art has become highly collected among a younger generation who see his art as a bright horizon within a genre of painting that has become bland an highly anticlimactic. Whether through the vast array of vibrant colors or the numerous types of paint, he constructs and abstracts the ideals of what a landscape painting can be. The way Lukaduke applies paint to his surface has a chance like quality behind it that he feels mimics the natural occurrences of our landscape via the natural elements of wind, water and fire. What will strike the viewer instantly upon viewing his work is that he is the element in which all his paintings are structured around. From painting to painting the viewer becomes drawn into positive and negatives spaces. Within these spaces we become intrigued to wander through this visual space that is as much about the relationships between our minds and the world that surrounds us everyday, as it is about this artists pure love for paint.

When asked about his influences Luke will spurt out a never ending list of artists , musicians and free thinkers with the likes of ; Henry David Thoreau, Woody Guthrie, Grant Wood, Thomas Hart Benton, Winston Rodney, Ghandi…. His feelings are that every moment and every person has an influence on what we are and what we do.

To sum this artist up, when asked "why he paints?" He will counteract it with "why do philosophers, philosophize? why do monks, meditate ?"

I have shown work frequently in Portland @ places like Coffee by Design, the Institute of Contemporary Art, the SPACE, as well as many other venues and festivals throughout New England and as far as New Mexico.

For an example of my work visit Lukadukes Art and stay tuned for a real deal website to launch in 2009 !

Whhheeelout
Jody D.
yordo
Essex Junction, VT
Post #: 148
here is my blog page that i try to keep up with that has examples of my work and some other ramblings and recordings about bike riding, life etc...i will also be showing some smaller paintings at Zarra's in Monument Square in February. As for Kim she is too busy teaching art to be making art also but she does take classes through MECA which helps her develop proffessionally and her passion is really for ceramics.

kingcheddar.blogspot.com

check it out and please let me know what you think, feedback is always encouraged and appreciated

thanks~

smile
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 766
Press Herald religion section today has a feature article on Gail Wartell and her Sunday Simcha radio show!

For more than a decade, Gail Wartell has awakened in the early morning hours on Sunday and followed something of a spiritual tradition.

With a stack of CDs by her side, Wartell gets behind the microphone at Portland's WMPG 90.1/104.1 FM and produces "Sunday Simcha," a weekly radio show dedicated to Jewish music and culture.

The show, which airs from 6:30 to 8:30 a.m., offers a mix of jazz, Jewish classical music and klezmer, as well as prayers and psalms put to music.

Full story here.
Jody D.
yordo
Essex Junction, VT
Post #: 171
Check out some of my paintings at Zarra's Monumental Coffeehouse this month-

I just hung the work this morning and it will be up for the month of February, if you are in town please have a look see.

thanks~

lukaduke
user 7354623
Portland, ME
Post #: 107
Will do Jody...thanks for the update !

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 827
My wife Mary has just hung some pieces in The Frog and Turtle in Westbrook, just in time for Valentines Day. love struck
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 856
I was downtown last night and passed the Time Gallery at CTN Channel 4, and what should I see but paintings of turtles by Gail Wartell! According to her art website, she's had an exhibit there for most of this month! The show runs until March 26 at 516 Congress Street. Hours are 10-5:30 Monday-Wednesday, 10-8 Thursday, 10-2 Saturday.
Jody D.
yordo
Essex Junction, VT
Post #: 190
I have some paintings hanging in the Oh No Cafe' for the month of April for your viewing pleasure.
It's located in the West End on Bracket St on the left if you are headed towards the bridge. They serve up some tasty food and they have a great beer and wine selection.

Thanks all~
lukaduke
user 7354623
Portland, ME
Post #: 122
Yes Jody I noticed those just this weekend. Good to see you getting yourself out there...

OH No has hands down the best breakfast sandwich intown.