Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Bicycle Driving › Tukey's Legalization Discussion

Tukey's Legalization Discussion

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,216
This is an attempt to create a single general thread for discussion of the effort to legalize bike travel on Washington over Tukey's. Other threads are more specific; please use this one from now on.

The 3 other threads we've had up to this point, in case you want to reference them, are:

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,217

Looking for shop petition volunteers

I've just posted a ­Petition Letter which we would like to have printed out and posted at all Portland area bike shops, if that is okay with the owner. Here is the list of shops that I compiled through Google Maps.

• Allspeed Cyclery, 72 Auburn St, Portland, 878-8741 (Used to be on Washington Avenue, now just a little further out)
  • Back Bay Bicycle, 333 Forest Avenue, Portland, 773-6906‎
  • Brad Burkholder, 115 Island Avenue, Peaks Island, 766-5631
  • Cycle Mania: 59 Federal Street, Portland, 774-2933
  • Eastern Mountain Sports, 87 Marginal Way, Portland, 541-1919
  • Ernie's Cycle Shop, 105 Conant Street, Westbrook, 854-4090 [I'll take this one]
  • Gorham Bike & Ski, 693 Congress Street, Portland, 773-1700‎
  • Haggett's Cycle Shop, 34 Vannah Avenue, Portland, 773-5117 (are they still around?)

We'd like to ask for volunteers to approach each shop, especially if you are a regular customer. You would be responsible for printing out a copy of the paper petition (in color if possible, but okay if not), asking the shop owner for permission to post it, checking it periodically to add more signature sheets if necessary, and mailing it back to me at some point (to be determined).

If you can do this for one of these shops, please volunteer by replying to this thread, then you can go ahead and get started anytime (as soon as possible). Thank you!

(There are some other shops further out, Freeport, Kennebunk, and such, but I'm not sure there's as much need to get to them. If you know of one and would like to, fine, otherwise don't worry about it.)
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,218

Sign the online petition

I have just created an online petition for citizens to show support for this proposal. If you are in support, and do not plan on signing any of the hardcopy petitions, please sign this one.

Please spread the word, and thanks!
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,219

Encourage bike clubs to get involved

If you belong to a bicycle club or have friends who do, please talk to them about this effort. If they have a newsletter or email list, it would be great if they could publicize it through those channels. They can encourage their members to sign the online petition, or if they have a physical location where members congregate, they might want to post a paper petition.

Please let us know (by replying to this thread) if you are working with a club so that we do not duplicate effort. Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 14
Is there a link to this on the new facebook page?
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,222
Yes.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,231
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,233
From another thread, Ian says:
As you point out, even a fast/fit cyclist should not be racing on the substandard width of the path. They would be a danger to themselves and others. Also, the path is pretty much useless for the cyclist that uses their bike for transportation, four months out of the year.

The path may be fine for a recreational cyclist to use at their leisure during 3 seasons of the year, but not a year round transportational cyclist.

That brings up a question I've been wanting to ask someone, because I'm sure it will come up sooner or later. If we are basing our argument partly on the fact that the path is not very usable 4 months out of the year, and in fact cannot be made usable 4 months out of the year without a lot more maintenance expense (especially because part of what ultimately makes the roads clean after the initial plowing is the fact of being swept by car tires, an effect that bikes do not produce), the next logical question is, how usable are the bridge shoulders those same months?

Most if not all cyclists (Ken?) who are using the bridge will in practice be using the shoulders, and in fact I think the possibility that some cyclists may sometimes use the rightmost travel lane is not going to endear DOT to support the request. No matter how you feel about shoulder use, this is a tactical consideration in the context of this request.

So are the shoulders sufficiently passable 12 months out of the year (obviously their entire width will probably not be), or are there times that some bridge cyclists are going to have to be out in the travel lane due to ice and snow on the shoulder, perhaps because they are not using studs?

I don't use the bridge often enough to know the answer to this.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 106
So are the shoulders sufficiently passable 12 months out of the year (obviously their entire width will probably not be), or are there times that some bridge cyclists are going to have to be out in the travel lane due to ice and snow on the shoulder, perhaps because they are not using studs?

The last time I went across the bridge on the roadway (Dec 23) the shoulder was mostly passable. It hadn't snowed very recently, but there were some leftover ice chunks in a few places. I was able to stay just barely to the right of the shoulder line except for a couple times when I had to stray into the right edge of the rightmost lane. The lane is quite wide so I felt comfortable sharing it with cars for a few seconds.
Kenneth O.
kob22225
Portland, ME
Post #: 323
and in fact I think the possibility that some cyclists may sometimes use the rightmost travel lane is not going to endear DOT to support the request. No matter how you feel about shoulder use, this is a tactical consideration in the context of this request.

Then perhaps pushing legal Tukey's access - before the culture understands even the VERY basics - was questionable tactics to start with?

Maybe you should have let the folks who used Tukeys continue use it in a low key manner.

Perhaps maybe even you-all are ahead of yourselves... if you don't understand that normal travel lane use is the default... with occasional shoulder use sufficiently safe only as the -exception-.

My use of the travel lane space on the Casco Bay Bridge has been called 'foolhardy' by people on this list - people I would have hoped knew better. However, it looks like they don't know better. How do you expect the average person to be ready for the truth?

Sorry guys. Again. It's a paradigm shift... Perhaps starting with Tukey's Bridge was the 'tactical' error here. Maybe you should have started with use of normal travel lane space on normal surface streets where they recently painted those idiotic bikelanes (not just the Forest Ave doorzone lanes.... ALL of the recent idiotic bikelanes.)

Are you guys being manipulated from both sides here perhaps? - Gold plated segregationist facility advocates manipulating you folks into frightening the villagers into thinking that you will use their interstates... Segregationists then use this pressure to extort money from the villagers to build bigger 'better' wider segregationist facilities... The villagers then feel justified instructing their (law enforcement) goons to kick bicyclist 'out from in front of them' on roadways....