A former member
Post #: 551
12/30/2009 PPH News Update City plans public bike forum. Already some negative comments.
John Brooking
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,225
Hmm. Looks like the PPH has reorganized their comments a bit, and I'm having trouble getting logged in.

If I could, I'd thank "s b h" for his/her comments, inform him/her that I will be leading the discussion on enforcement issues at the meeting, and ask him/her to email me at bike at mainebrook.com if he/she wants to discuss it further, or just come to the meeting. (Perhaps he/she is a member of this group and reading this right now! wink)

Also, lesser priority, "Common Cents" should know that (1) licenses, inspections, and insurance for cyclists have never been found to be cost-effective when they have been tried, and (2) although we agree that cyclists should receive tickets for traffic violations, just like motorists, no one is generally ARRESTED for a traffic violation (unless it escalates). Also, the fact that we don't get ticketed is more a matter of low police prioritization than any kind of special elite status we supposedly have.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 104
If I could, I'd thank "s b h" for his/her comments, inform him/her that I will be leading the discussion on enforcement issues at the meeting, and ask him/her to email me at bike at mainebrook.com if he/she wants to discuss it further, or just come to the meeting. (Perhaps he/she is a member of this group and reading this right now! wink)

If you mean "s h", that's me again smile. For some reason the PPH system uses my initials when I comment on some stories and my nickname when I comment on others.
A former member
Post #: 552
Todays letter to the editor:

Press Herald 1/4/2010
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 105
From the letter:
"Christian Milneil complains that the legal route takes him 2.5 minutes longer than the illegal route of Tukey's. Has he ever thought of getting his butt out of bed 2.5 minutes earlier?"

When I read the original article from December 18th I was surprised by Christian's assertion that using the bridge only saves 2.5 minutes. Maybe it does at 7am, but during times of heavy congestion on the trail I bet the bridge would save a lot more time.

Estimating the length of the bridge at 1/2 mile, traveling 20 mph across the bridge vs. 5 mph on the path would save 4.5 minutes, even before taking the awkward connections on either end into consideration.
John Brooking
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,230
I just put together a spreadsheet with equations to calculate the times at varying cyclist speeds. ('Cause I'm a computer geek, that's why!) I'm using northbound distances I measured on Google Maps a few weeks ago, see http://www.tinyurl.co...­

Bridge: 0.75 mile (3968')
Sidepath: 0.88 mile (4644'), using the intended switchback (if you take the wrong-way sidewalk to Veranda, it's only 3788')

Here are what I think are the likely slow and fast extremes for the majority of cyclists in each place:

Bridge: 12-20 MPH (Wind and shoulder obstacles may limit high end; low end perhaps limited by type of rider who would choose it)
Path: 8-15 MPH (High end limited by safety; at the low end, do you think most people are really slower than 8 MPH?)

And here are the numbers for the 4 different combinations of those extremes:

Slow Cyclist Both Routes (8 vs. 12 MPH):
3.75 minutes by bridge, 6.6 minutes by path, bridge faster by 2.9 minutes, path takes takes 76% more time

Fast Cyclist Both Routes (15 vs. 20 MPH):
2.25 minutes by bridge, 3.5 minutes by path, bridge faster by 1.25 minutes, path takes 56% more time

Slow Path Cyclist, Fast Bridge Cyclist (8 vs. 20 MPH)
2.25 minutes by bridge, 6.6 minutes by path, bridge faster by 4.3 minutes, path takes 193% more time

Slow Bridge Cyclist, Fast Path Cyclist (12 vs. 15 MPH):
3.75 minutes by bridge, 3.5 minutes by path, path faster by 15 seconds, bridge takes 6% more time

Actual speeds and time savings obviously vary by conditions, plus we don't really know the mix of rider capabilities, so it would probably only be valid to get an overall average by repeated actual observation over time, rather than armchair math. Also, this doesn't take into account waiting for other traffic and a possible red light in the switchback area. But this gives us a sense of the actual range of possibilities.
A former member
Post #: 553
As you point out, even a fast/fit cyclist should not be racing on the substandard width of the path. They would be a danger to themselves and others. Also, the path is pretty much useless for the cyclist that uses their bike for transportation, four months out of the year.

The path may be fine for a recreational cyclist to use at their leisure during 3 seasons of the year, but not a year round transportational cyclist.
John Brooking
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,232
Let's continue this thought on Tukey's Legalization Discussion thread.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 108
From today's Press Herald:

City forum to gather better-biking ideas
Participants' suggestions will be part of the basis for a policy that addresses all transportation needs.
A former member
Post #: 557
Editorial about tomorrows city forum.

PPH Editorial, 1/8/10.

The first comment was typical rhetoric.