john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 507
Hit & run on Congress St.:

http://www.pressheral...­

PORTLAND — Portland police are looking for the driver of a light-colored sedan involved in a hit and run crash that injured a 13-year-old boy riding a bicycle Friday.

Police said the incident happened at 2:50 p.m. on Congress Street near Bramhall Fire Station. Witnesses said the car pulled out of an alley near 715 Congress St. and hit the westbound cyclist, then drove off, police said.

The boy's injuries were not life-threatening but he was taken to Maine Medical Center for treatment.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Portland police traffic division at 874-8532.

They caught the driver and I'm working with the cyclist through Gorham Bike to get an insurance settlement rolling. Happy ending.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 781
Thanks for the update. When I got knocked down by a hit and run, it made a huge psychological difference that the driver did not "get away".
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 425
Three-car Windsor crash leaves one dead, four injured
The third driver, James Tasse, 49, of Cape Elizabeth, was taken to MaineGeneral Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries.

This­ James Tasse of Cape Elizabeth?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 203
Seems like a good place to share this.
http://www.bikemaine....­

Derek P.
dpellet
Portland, ME
Post #: 77
Not local, but a nice view of Chicago's latest protected bike lane through the Downtown loop - complete with dedicted traffic lights for cyclists.
Looks nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4M36eTWmUbk­

The clip from the dedication ceremony with the CDOT commissioner and Mayor Emanuel is worth listening to if you have a few minutes of down time, too.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 432
Streets are for more than just drivers under new Portland policy
PORTLAND — A new policy may make city streets more pedestrian-friendly – and also friendlier to cyclists, transit riders, emergency responders, truck drivers, car drivers and others.

The Complete Streets policy, adopted at a Dec. 17 City Council meeting, calls for balancing the needs of all those who use the streets in order to reduce travel time and costs, increase physical activity and enhance environmental sustainability.

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 2,018
I have some misgivings about the Complete Streets concept as applied to cycling.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 435
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 798
Bike riders are also allowed to use the pedestrian walkway on the Casco Bay Bridge after they complained the bicycle lane was unsafe because of high-speed vehicle traffic.
Is this true? Have they actually changed the signs, or is this more of a "we'll just not enforce that for now" sort of thing?
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 537
Yeah the numerous signs that used to read "bicycles not allowed on pedestrian walkway" are gone. On days where the snowbanks are especially huge and take up the entire bike lane on the bridge I'll use the "multi-use path" coming both directions. Other days I just take the path coming into town. It cuts time from my commute and keeps me out of the high wind for longer. There's also very few, if any, pedestrian encounters during my commute along the bridge this time of year.