Gary G.
user 9496013
Portland, ME
Post #: 20
There are lot's of nasty comments for sure. I work downtown and rode my bike up Congress St to meet a friend for lunch today.

I counted over 20 bikes passing by during lunch. Not a single one was honoring the rules of the road.
Only about 5 or 6 rode on the right side of the street and all of them ran the red light at Congress and Forest. The rest of them were tooling along the sidewalk, or combining the sidewalk and street as they saw fit. And two, were racing through the streets and sidewalks dangerously fast.

There's a lot of work to do if we are ever to convince motorists that cyclists are responsible.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,426
Nice Bike to Work day picture on the front page of the Press Herald, featuring commuter Rick Knowland. League of Young Voters staffer Hilary Frenkel is visible in the background, along with my backside rising from my chair! biggrin
A former member
Post #: 638
Nice Bike to Work day picture on the front page of the Press Herald, featuring commuter Rick Knowland. League of Young Voters staffer Hilary Frenkel is visible in the background, along with my backside rising from my chair! biggrin

I can't find it on the Online version of the PPH.
A former member
Post #: 55
http://www.burlington...­

5 year old killed by SUV turning into driveway, no details yet.
Julie F.
user 11834930
Portland, ME
Post #: 8
What is your take on this story? What is your reaction to it's coverage - it's content and tone? It was filmed in Ottowa, so some of you all-weather die-hards (is that most of you here?) will relate to the terrain.

//www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010­/05/27/dnt.bike.helmet.cam.cbc?hpt=T2]CN­N News Coverage of Helmet Cam and a Close Call[/url]
Kenneth O.
kob22225
Portland, ME
Post #: 376
What is your take on this story? What is your reaction to it's coverage - it's content and tone? It was filmed in Ottowa, so some of you all-weather die-hards (is that most of you here?) will relate to the terrain.

//www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010­/05/27/dnt.bike.helmet.cam.cbc?hpt=T2]CN­N News Coverage of Helmet Cam and a Close Call[/url]

1) My experience is that riding the roadway over any one year period is fine. No sweat. Don't feel especially put-upon by my fellow roadway users.

2) I saw one case of a car pulling out from the right that looks like (maybe) that driver should have been yielding right of way... And looked like a close call; I don't believe the bicyclist was actually hit; bicyclist just need to do an avoidance maneuver. Other than that, I saw nothing special. In one case (replayed 2-3times) it appeared the bicyclist was randomly whizzing around a parking lot area, adding-to/contributing-to some apparent chaos. It was not a standard public roadway situation.

Here's my guess about this kid, posed as a question: Who here is old enough to remember Bernie Goetz?
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,435
Interesting. On the one hand, it makes bicycling sound so dangerous, but on the other, his behavior seemed proper in at least some of the cases, although a camera angle can sometimes skew perspective. He did look too far to the edge when that black truck passed him. But it's not like we don't all encounter that sometimes no matter our lane position. And that was what is for me the hardest situation to be assertive in, a busy two-lane road with no shoulder.

I think part of experience is learning to recognize various potential problems before they become emergencies, and slowing down and preparing yourself when you see those signs. It was hard to tell if he was doing that, or just blowing through. Again, the camera doesn't do a good job of helping us see that.

Basically, like in all media stories, there just wasn't enough solid information given to assess what was really happening in any of these cases. For example, with the crash that opened the clip, the narrator said in the beginning, "a red car tries to make the light". Did he mean that the red car was running a yellow, or it was already red? The bicyclist was cruising at speed, which I hope he wouldn't have been doing if his own light was red at the time, which is implied by saying that the red car was trying to make HIS light. Or was the car anticipating HIS green, which maybe means the cyclist's light was yellow? No way to tell from the information given. Could the cyclist have been more watchful for just such a possibility? Maybe.

And what the heck was the car in the snow at 0:28 - 0:35 doing? It looks like he stopped and backed up in the intersection. Why? I could have used some more explanation on that.

The left cross does happen sometimes, but that didn't look like a standard intersection situation either, which may have complicated it. It looked like the cyclist was coming in from the side. Again, I can't tell from the visual what the whole context was.

Obviously a sincere attempt to get motorists to be more careful around cyclists, which is appreciated. But maybe a bit too much into the "cycling is inherently dangerous" mindset, especially with the "too many cars were running me off the road and I never have a witness" comment.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 38
Neat link, Julie. Thanks.
I feel the tone was very out of character for CNN, at least (which I find to be increasingly conservative). And they did mention that they were showing the worst footage in a year which, separate from the red car trying to make the light wasn't that horrific. I don't think it portrays bike commuting as a full contact sport. Cautionary tale for drivers? Sure. I can imagine the viewers thinking "oh my god that person is crazy riding on that thin shoulder in rural traffic." But, they'd think that anyway.
They also showcased a younger commuter cyclist, which is nice to see (seemed like he was in his early twenties maybe not even). Most people that age are too concerned with looking cool in a pimped out Murcielago or something like that. He also isn't a whiney victim like other commuters I've seen in the news. The footage shows that he's aggressive and will chase after your dumb ass if you hit him, even kick your car! I want to buy this kid a beer!
Now, I've seen a few local newscasts having to do with bike commuting that painted a fair picture but were ruined by the comments of schlubs like Dough Rafferty. "You couldn't get me to bike to work, showing up all sweaty, yeesh." Really, schlub? - I mean, Doug? Yuh happy with what you just said there?
Julie F.
user 11834930
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
Thanks KB, JB, and JB for your observations. I was glad to see the story being covered on CNN, but at the same time, wondering if it would perpetuate the "dangerous biking" idea, and the "cars v cyclist" idea.
A former member
Post #: 640
Looks like the cyclist is riding erratically. some of the footage (as others have said) is taken through a parking lot (a non-roadway situation). Parking lots are inherently erratic, I always slow way down and ride within the traffic lanes (not diagonally across parking spaces). He is riding a mountain bike with knobby tires. Is he riding on and off road, not maintaining a predictable lateral line within the roadway space?

The thing that I have found that helps most, is maintaining your position within the travel lane. Be predictable, maintain your lane position, and you'll minimize problems. Riding in this manner, FEW people have tried to "run me off the road".