Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Recurring Topics › Amusing Comics Thread

Amusing Comics Thread

mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 453
Post your amusing comic finds here :)

(click for full-size version)

http://www.notquitewr...­
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,392

Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 150
That's one of my all-time favorites, John. smile
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,406
Yehuda Moon took a break for about a month this spring, but it's back, and seems to be focusing on "Fizz", the young daughter of the shop's female mechanic.

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,407

*Ray LaHood is Obama's Secretary of Transportation, who has won adoration from American bicyclists everywhere by declaring biking an equal transportation mode to motor vehicle driving.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,503
Calvin and Hobbes has some great bicycling strips. Calvin's dad is a recreational cyclist, so we sometimes see him fighting with cars on the road, or trying to teach Calvin to ride, against Calvin's irrational fear that the bike is out to get him. For example, see the first strip on this page.

I recently discovered a series of C&H that is not ostensibly about bicycling, but it sure seems thinly veiled. I used one of the cartoons in a recent email. In this series, Calvin is getting serious about his gum chewing hobby, and has subscribed to "Chewing" magazine. Another set of this series is here, including:

I like this because it parodies the clicqueish nature of the different bicycling, I mean, gum chewing subcultures. And probably something about the economic environment in which bike shops have to operate...

And for all of us who ride with car traffic:

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,511
Continuing the Yehuda theme quoted earlier, and celebrating the Tour:

I love that everyone's drinking juice boxes!
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 81

Title: "Edible Spandex, Bicyclist Vs Motorist"
Artist description: "Many bicyclists obey traffic laws, but punishments need to be handed out for those that don’t. I suggest we take away their spandex wearing privileges. Let’s see how they like riding around in unpadded loose fitting cotton shorts! HA!"

Funny cartoon until I read the blurb below. Now, I have to write a long, overly analytical diatribe regarding cycling, the "culture of speed" and personal risk:
I take the lane when I ride a bike because it's exponentially safer than careering around in the shoulder and meandering around parked cars (for those reading this that still don't know; riding a bike on the sidewalk is absolutely illegal, and rightfully so). I ride this way not because it's my legal right, but, because it's what I've learned to do from 6 years of car-free cycle commuting.
As bikes are entitled to the full lane in many states cars are entitled to change lanes to pass. If a motorist is pissed because he has to observe a slower moving vehicle, actually take a foot of the gas and use his/ her brain to maneuver around said vehicle, tough shit. I will not concede to the unwritten laws surrounding the culture of speed that rules even the most under traveled of American byways.
Playing stick figure devil's advocate: perhaps the stick figure cyclist broke the law by running the red light because he/ she didn't want to wait at a red light behind some asshole who is clearly in too big of a hurry and slight of driving skills? From my experience waiting at a light in front of these types of drivers in this type of situation (more harassment ensues) and being there when the light turns green (even worse harassment ensues) is not an awesome experience. Idaho stop (treating a red light as a stop sign to your best degree of traffic awareness and acknowledgement of personal risk [nobody else's risk, I might add]) could apply here, even in the very unlikely event that a cop stops you.
"Sorry officer, I was being tailgated by a maniac and feared for my personal safety. I then took my own safety into my own hands by proceeding before the light changed, when there was no traffic. I proceeded as such at my own risk."
Also, "spandex wearing privileges?" Ninja please. I ride around in "loose fitting, unpadded cotton shorts" and I ride a lot faster than that stick figure is apparently going. Probably could keep pace with that Porsche, too, or at least meet him at every red light for 3 miles - did just that the other day, while taking the whole lane, of course.
Why is the cartoonist hating on cyclists, even if they do tend to break the law from time to time? Sounds like frustrated motorist off-steaming. It's stressful being ass reamed by oil conglomerates, insurance companies, state motor vehicle registries, mechanics and all of the incredibly outlandish fees that tie into car ownership, isn't it. Kinda like it's a fools game, huh? You don't have to attempt to make those who haven't forgotten how to use their own legs miserable too, just because you saw the bad man ride through the red light. It's quite different from when a car (2-ton stamped steel box that can be treated as a weapon in a trial) does the same hence, law enforcement is quite different - even if the law is in place for both modes of transport. The exception would obviously be if pedestrians were added to the fray or in a high speed area that could result in panic stops from motorists and a possible pile-up. That's when the situation is not just at the cyclists risk. This is why I say proceeding with "awareness and acknowledgement."
To be fair, I don't run red lights. I don't even Idaho stop that often unless in extreme examples (enormous gridlock that I can safely maneuver through, when at a light that is triggered only by weight or some other factor that my lone bicycle isn't tripping, when in a situation that is more dangerous for me to hang around in). I use my best judgement. Is the cartoonist mad because he/ she isn't given that same choice with a motor vehicle? Chalk it up to one of the many downsides of being a motorist. Try riding a bike. Watch your previously held opinions calling for cyclist punishment perform a 180. A call for cyclist education? Sure. Right after every motorist takes a course in what bikes are allowed to do in their given locality. For how many nearly inaudible pieces of advice I get from passing motorists to "get on the sidewalk", there is A LOT more work to be done in the later demographic.
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 520
Maybe the artist is aware that most people don't wear spandex but is stretching the point in an attempt to be amusing?

I agree that drivers want you to follow the law UNTIL it inconveniences them. If you are approaching a four way stop sign, the guy at the cross street will be mad if you roll it, but if you come to a complete stop the guy behind you will be thinking COME ON ALREADY JUST GO!

Is riding on the sidewalk illegal in Maine? I thought it was just a bad idea.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,547
Is riding on the sidewalk illegal in Maine? I thought it was just a bad idea.

It is not mentioned in state law; it is left up to each municipality. I have heard conflicting reports of whether most towns allow it or don't. Of course it's almost irrelevant from a legal standpoint, because it's not enforced anyway.

I do know about Westbrook, having downloaded the town ordinance recently. It's quite interesting, really. It contains the following local rules in Chapter 5, Bicycles:

• Sidewalk riding is prohibited everywhere in Westbrook (5-20)
  • Restates with slightly different wording state statute about "rights and duties of drivers" (5-2), "ride to the right" (5-15), lights at night (5-4), and an extra rule specifically requiring obedience to traffic control devices, I guess in case "same rights and duties" is too vague for some people (5/3).
  • In addition to lights and brakes, a bicycle is required to be equipped with a bell or other signalling device (5-4b)
  • Believe it or not, all bicycles are required to display a license plate issued from the police department after the bicycle has been satisfactorily inspected for safety (5-5 through 5-11). (I can just imagine walking into the public safety building and asking for this! These parts seem to date from 1965, with some updates in 1973.)
  • Sidepaths provided for bicycle use are mandatory, the bicyclist may not use the adjacent roadway (5-15, also from 1965).

I looked at South Portland's ordinance once and seem to remember finding similar provisions.