Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Congress Street--> by New Mercy Hospital --> Commercial Street; bike path?

Congress Street--> by New Mercy Hospital --> Commercial Street; bike path?

A former member
Post #: 1
Does anyone know about the bike path that goes by the new Mercy hospital? does that actually connect congress street with commercial?

I'd be interested in taking that route to get to the CB Bridge, but I can't tell if the bike path is a complete link.

Thanks.

Dave
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 41
Not in any way where you don't have to cross traffic more than you would by just following the "portland connector" though the intersection and onto commercial. The multi-use path which skirts the fore river and starts under the 295 overpass after exit 5 turns into a chained link fence/ guard rail abutted alley to the east side of the "new portland connector" section of rte 1. You can take this fenced in bridge side path over the railroad toward the intersection at the start of the veteran's memorial bridge - if you wanted to stick to the path, that is. The path is then connected at the corresponding commercial street side via the crosswalk (lame) and continues on right about until the dirt lot with the lobster shack, I'm pretty sure. At that point you'd have to wait for a break in traffic so you could jet across to the other side and continue down commercial.
The whole thing in more trouble than it's worth relative to just riding in traffic, if you ask me. I'm never one to rely on walk signals and crosswalks when getting somewhere, even recreationally. I normally stay with traffic on commercial street throughout this route, or take the path only up until the light at mercy hospital, depending on what I'm looking to get out of the ride.
Hope that helps.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks, John.
Michelle Colleen B...
MichelleColleen
Portland, ME
Post #: 17
I've never been on the trail, but just looked at it on a map -- it looks like this might be an alright way to get out to the Transportation Center -- is that true?
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 78
There is some off road if you follow the path that skirts the fore river, you come to a makeshift roadblock (probably installed by the railroad authority - which questions the legality of the following path), you follow the path which runs along to the left of the train tracks north, under the highway and poof, you're behind the transportation complex in warehouse row, there's a road leading to the front parking lot.
If you stay on the off-street bike/ ped way that follows along the inbound side of the portland connector you can get to the transportation complex relatively easily, too but you cross two highway onramps, one off-ramp and the paved way becomes a dirt path when you get to the intersection at the transportation complex which causes you to spill out into traffic for a fourth time.
If I'm using the bike/ped way at all I'll do the former rather than the later. Usually I just pretend like I'm driving a car, it's safer that way. Either way you do it, have fun.