Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › Can't convince myself it'll be ok.....................

Can't convince myself it'll be ok.....................

A former member
Post #: 8
Here is my dilemma , my commute to work is approx 5 miles each way. Yes short & simple , I know! However, every day that I feel I should be starting my Bicycle commute , I can't help but think : what if I need to go get one of the kids , something happens I need to get somewhere fast..........
How do you guys deal with situations like these? There is no way I could get to the bank and back on my lunch break on my bicycle.
The whole Bicycle commute thing sounds like a GREAT idea , in theory , but the practical application leaves a bit to be desired.
How do you all work around these issues? Discuss........................Thanks !
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 490
Go Maine has a program where if you carpool or bike and an emergency comes up they will reimburse you for cab fare or a car rental. Here's the info: http://gomaine.org/co...­

How short is your lunch break? I can be from East Deering to either downtown Westbrook or anywhere in Portland in a half hour, so that's a pretty good range for an hour lunch break. I often run errands to the post office, bank, shopping, etc.

How often have these emergency situations come up in the past? I've only had to go get my kid once in a few years of bike riding. Even if I had to get a taxi for that one time, the cost is minimal spread out over such a long period of time. Plus I know I could count on co-workers for a ride in the event of some sort of real emergency.
A former member
Post #: 656
I ride 7-ish miles each way. Haven't had an emergency kid pickup yet (knocking on wood). My wife is out of town with the car. So, today I car pooled with a person I work with who was kind enough to drive the kids to Camp Ketcha. We'll pick the kids up on the way home. I would imagine if there was a true "emergency" many people would be offering to transport.

You have to be of the mindset that you do not need a car at your disposal 24/7. Which is what 99% of American's think (at least outside of city centers). I don't think twice about the "what ifs".
A former member
Post #: 657
Also, 5 miles? Is that how far your kids are from you at work? You can do that in about 20 minutes at 15 MPH average (moderate pace). It would take you about 10 minutes by car. 10 minute difference.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,484
Aside from needing to pick up a kid or other emergency situations, what else do you need to do during the day? Of course it depends on where you work and what is around. I work near the mall, so there's plenty of places close by if I need to do some noontime shopping, or pick up a 16 lb bag of cat food from PetCo on my way home, carrying it in my grocery pannier. If you need to do something that is closer to your home than your work, maybe you could do it on your way to or from, rather than the middle of the day.