A former member
Post #: 1
I just moved here from Philadelphia. Will be riding from the west end to UNE-portland campus. My first time, I took a route with no bike lanes, got a flat, it was pretty miserable. Someone want to help me find a bike friendly route, and help me orient to riding in Portland in general? Kerry
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 498
What route did you take? That section of Congress by the West End is certainly not a pleasant ride. And getting a flat certainly adds to the misery. Here's what I would do:

I would get over to Brighton Ave, probably via St John St. but I might modify that depending exactly where in the West End you are coming from. Then I would take a right onto Stevens St. and that's a straight shot to UNE. The one downside to this route is the hill on Brighton. Once you turn onto Stevens, it is a much more side-street situation. You will pass a couple of schools so in season it is a bit slower paced.

It's about 2.5 miles total: http://www.gmap-pedom...­
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks! YesterdayI tried Deering to Forest to Pleasant to Stevens which worked okay
mike
user 3053132
Portland, ME
Post #: 506
Glad to hear it!