Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board Recurring Topics › Commuting Sights, Sounds, Smells

Commuting Sights, Sounds, Smells

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,516
Use this thread for short notes about special or amusing things that you saw, heard, or smelled on your commute.

Last week, as I posted on the Commuting Journal, I saw two adult turkeys and a bunch of young ones along the Sable Oaks golf course green.

Twice last year, I unexpectedly heard bagpipes as I rode. Once it was a special event at the Sable Oaks golf course, happening as I rode to work in the morning. Another time, I heard them as I was approaching the Veteran's Memorial Bridge from the South Portland side, which turned out to be someone standing in an empty parking lot near the oil tanks, no doubt barred from practicing at home! wink

There's a building near the intersection of Spring Street and County Road in Westbrook that used to house a bakery warehouse. I thought they moved out, but I could swear I still sometimes smell fresh bread! love struck
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,573
Both sight and smell: Dead skunk on John Roberts Road around the corner from my office.
Lincoln P.
user 12657385
Portland, ME
Post #: 10
Best sight of the summer:

While riding along Casco Bay on the morning of September 2, I saw a woman standing on a longboard with two dogs -- Irish setters maybe -- forward of her. She was paddling from the Cutter Street landing towards Back Cove. The stately scene could have been lifted from the frieze of an Egyptian tomb -- sort of like this one of Userhat fishing with a harpoon about 3,500 years ago.

http://www.touregypt....­
A former member
Post #: 701
That's better than a dead skunk biggrin.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,685
Sighted Wednesday 12/23 ~8 AM, Tim Horton's in South Portland: Santa Claus. Driving a white PT cruiser, with a red nose mounted to the front. Stopping for a donut break?

Sighted last night, Christmas Eve, on Main Street in Westbrook: Bruce and Sylvia Wallingford, on illuminated tandem tricycle sporting blue coaster sleds in the wheels, and miniature poodle Ladyslipper in the front basket! Merry Christmas from Ernie's Cycle Shop!
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 441
Got passed the other day by a truck delivering biodiesel. It must have been running on the same thing because all I could smell in its wake was french fries -- a very pleasant alternative to the usual diesel stink smile
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 577
Legoland massacre in the southbound bike lane along the Casco Bay Bridge. Oh the brickmanity!
Dan H.
user 72654382
Portland, ME
Post #: 11
last winter while pedaling home across Casco Bay Bridge, I snagged a pair of high top, insulated LL Bean Boots my size! It's amazing the wardrobe I've accumulated while riding a bike. My wife has asked, however, that I not bring any more hats home as I have too many.