Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › What bikes do you have in your "Fleet?"

What bikes do you have in your "Fleet?"

A former member
Post #: 4
So far I have a Felt F35x that I converted into a full road bike.

And a 1991 Raleigh Technium.

Soon I'm going to buy a winter bike... Which will probably be a mountain bike of some sort.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,588
My two commuter bikes, both bought new from Ernie's, are:

• For good weather: Schwinn Fastback 24(?)-speed road bike, aluminum with carbon front forks. I committed the mortal roadie sin of installing a kickstand on it! (That's even worse than the rear rack, I'm given to understand.) biggrin

• For bad weather: Giant Cypress EX hybrid with 8-speed internal hub for low maintenance, also with chain guard, fenders, and front shocks.

I also have a Trek mountain bike (bought used on Craig'sList) and a green Huffy single-speed (formerly 3-speed, bought at a yard sale for $3), but I hardly ever ride those.
paul j.
enzo-from-maine
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
I have Diamondback Insight One 24sp hybrid. (Sorry its not $1000plus bike; my wife has me on a budget.). worst than John, i have a frt and rear bike rack which act a fenders and a place to mount my lights. Admittedly, i have an LED obsession. When i am not riding the the "starship enterprise" described above i have mongoose MTB which i inherited from my son when he went to college.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 210
1. Regular rider: late 90's L.L. Bean Evolution 700c aluminum hybrid; w/ Brooks saddle, rear rack, and full fenders; got it a few years ago for $70 and in need of some routine adjustments and a flat repair

2. Spare bike: early 90's Jazz Voltage 26" steel MTB; stripped all the (fabulous 90's neon) decals off and put some slick tires on it. Jazz seems to be some kind of bargain brand that Trek produced in the early 90's. Most of the components are pretty cheap, but it's in almost new condition and has a great frame and wheels, especially for a $3 yard sale find!
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 105
1980's japan Univega Nuovo Sport (tange steel) set up as a rivendellicious light tourer.
" " Univega Gran Touring (tange steel) set up as an IGH, heavy hauling frankenbike.
" taiwan Univega Viva Sport (b.s. steel) set up as a scary ass fixie/ ss with wood contact paper on the frame tubes. Don't ask me why so many Univega's. Apparently they're the fruitcake of the bicycle world: nobody wants them so I get them.
1997 KHS Aero Track (true temper steel) set up as a truly scary (50x15t), true track bike which I rarely bring out.
2004 Bianchi Milano (aluminum) set up as an alternate winter bike and around towner.
late 1980's Lotus road bike (lugged and chromed Columbus steel) a light and fast work in progress.
1974 english (carlton made) Raleigh Competition (Reynolds 531 steel) doesn't fit me, looking to sell.
1997 Trek 8500 (Easton alumunum/ Marzocchi Bomber front suspension) main winter bike.
2004 Voodoo Limba (voodoo's own blend of scandium/ Winwood "muddy cross" carbon disc fork) another work in progress, should be a hellified disc-equipped cyclocross bike OR main commuter build around the new Shimano Nexus 11 speed interhub.

Plenty of other bikes that are just frames, don't fit me or are destined to be winter flipping projects.

This also doesn't count my fiance's stable.
She's got:
2007 Masi Speciale CX (steel) I hate this bike.
Nondescript steel road bike converted to 3-speed olde style townie (I built it so I love it)
1970's Schwinn Continental (she rode this through 3 WINTERS. nuts. A true piece of garbage nowadays)
1980's Specialized Sirrus (once a prized(?) fixie, now another ss townie project in the works)
1937 Roadmaster Ladies Special balloon tire cruiser (currently being repainted).

DISCLAIMER: The most expensive bike I've listed above, other than the Masi in Erin's stable, was the Voodoo for $350 on eBay. The track bike was $300 from an old messenger friend in Boston. Even the Bianchi was a $250 craigslist score. Almost everything else was a near-free find. I have grand luck and I've been known to have even more bikes than described above. Call me a hoarder if you like but every one of them runs like a top and not a one of them is overly abused or wrongfully neglected.
A former member
Post #: 707
My pride and joy is a 1983 Bianchi sport SS that I bought new as a 14 year old. It was a mid-level 12 speed. With the helping hand of Percy Wheeler, I stripped the frame, powder-coated it golden-orange, and rebuilt it with a modern Shimano 105, 27 speed drivetrain. I don't commute too much on this bike, usually take it on weekend excursions.

My daily commuter is a 1970's Raleigh, plain old 20-30 steel, $20 Craigslist bike. I stripped the steel parts off, and used the old drivetrain taken off the Bianchi above, making it a fixed gear.

My winter-bike is a 2005 Trek T-80 Navigator (European Hybrid style). I replaced the flatbar's with Butterfly (Trekking bars). Like Paul Jones, this bike has a silly amount of lights on it, mostly generated from the bike's own momentum. I call this bike Light-Bright. It's way too heavy to be any fun to ride, and has a fairly upright riding position that I hate in windy winter storms. But with it's 29er wheels, it's pretty bomb-proof.

All three bikes above have kick-stands (I love kick-stands), full fenders, and racks.

I have an IRO Mark V frame that I'm going to slowly build at Port City Bikes this winter. I will probably leave off the kick-stand, fenders, and rack and keep it as a fun fixed gear.

When I have a couple of extra $$$, I want to replace the Trek with a Civia Kingfield. Or, go completely crazy with the disc brake version Civia Bryant.
A former member
Post #: 27
My "good bike" is a 6-yr old Jamis Quest. Steel frame, carbon fork, rear rack, clipless pedals, no fenders. A very versatile commuter and pretty fast for doing longer weekend rides. I try to keep this on dry roads. I will commute on it into late fall with lights, but once the roads get sandy and salty, I put it away for the winter.

The "foul weather bike" is a 15-yr (?) old Trek 520 touring bike (14-spd) with an assortment of parts left over from a previous bike. Rear rack, full fenders w/ mud flap, bar-end shifters. Steel frame and fork, toe clips and straps. Also have an extra set of wheels with mounted studded tires. This poor thing takes an awful beating...salt, grit, etc. from riding in the winter, but it's hanging on.

My other bike is a Motobecane fixie, an internet special. Steel frame, surprisingly light for a relatively cheapo bike. Nice orange paint job. I rarely commute on this, but use it mostly for (flat) Saturday loops.

My new dream bike would be an aluminum cyclocross bike with fenders and extra set of wheels to replace the old 520. And then I think what a stupid idea to buy a new bike and trash it in the salt and sand.