addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Portland Casual Jams (for Musicians and Singers) Message Board › Cabaret/Mellow/Torchsongs Signup Sheet

Cabaret/Mellow/Torchsongs Signup Sheet

Rob "Bodhi" W.
bodhiwolf
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 40
Sign up here with your personal information if you're interested in doing some work on some tunes with this particular flavour.

If you're interesting in attending a Cabaret/Mellow/torchsongs jam session, write down the following information, the best you can ...

Name
instrument you play (or multiple instruments) - and VOICE is a valid instrument!
preferred musical influences in this genre (or a sample favourite song in this genre)

Additional information which is important to note down ...

can you provide ...
- equipment (P.A., mixer, amp, spare instruments)
- a venue (garage, large spare room, empty office building on weekends, etc.)
- are you willing to help others coordinate? i.e., are you willing to take up the torch and be a project leader on this little endeavour?
- Scheduling preferences for times to jam (i.e. when can you come out and play, not the times that are bad for you)

/////////////////////

NOTE: I am NOT signing up ... at least, not quite yet ... so this is just an example -- and I am definitely not signing up to herd this particular bunch of cats! I have enough on my plate! One of you gets to take the lead on this! Instead, I'm just showing you an example of how to sign up with full information.

Example:

Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
Vocals, rhythm/secondary Guitar (not lead), keyboards
Preferred style -- so long as I get to sing SweenieTodd, I'm happy! Mwaa haa haa haaa

- I have my own gear (keyboard, guitars), plus a P.A. and mixer
- I have enough space for about 8 musicians to jam with full equipment
- I would be willing to help coordinate
- I would prefer Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons
Gene (aka ".
user 6961105
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 2
I am: Gene( aka "eez") Nelson
I play: Guitar, vocals, autoharp, misc,
I like: jazz and pop music 1890-1960, any swing that rocks, any rock that swings
I have:
--amps to handle 4 separate inputs, 8 channel mixer(ancient analog)
--acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitar, autoharp, mountain dulcimer, misc, etc
--space for ~8 in my living room, ~5 in my studio, mutitudes on the tennis court in back (don't know how the neighbors might take this, but they've bothered me enough that I ought to give something back to the community)
And, well, I'm one of those loose moraled types that will make space/time for music whenever it may happen, except not before noon.
Asher W.
user 4816343
Portland, OR
Asher & Kathryn
Vocals, guitar and mandolin
we got gear, PA and mikes, ect.
We would host a caberet mini jam if at least five or six others sign up
We like Friday evenings or Saturdays

We are working on
Baby It's Cold Outside key of F
Mack the Knife key of C
Summertime key of Am

I have lyrics with chords e-mail a request to me and I'll send them to ya.
Elizabeth
user 7369792
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hey Asher and Kathryn -
I'd love it if you could send me the the lyrics and chords for "Baby..." and "Summertime..." (We're talkin Porgy and Bess, right!?) I've only found one www site that'll give me what they thought were true lyrics for Summertime - so I'd like to see what you have.
I miss singing that stuff!!
Deborah
user 6665093
Portland, OR
Sorry to be so late in adding info here. Had to search thru music and find stuff. And I don't quite understand the message board thing - not sure if folks will actually see this in their in box or not. . . Not sure how this relates to the scheduled jams.

Asher and Kathryn: I have the sheet music for Baby It's Cold - also in the key of F, but I can't figure out how to play it on the guitar. Ages ago I sort of learned to read music for the piano, but have no way to figure out what a c7sus4 is on the guitar. . . I tried figuring it out and got a headache!! So, all this to say that it would be fun to sing it and I have music should anyone want to play it on the piano, but I can't play it on guitar.

Elizabeth, I have some chords and sheet music for Summertime and if you are coming on the 9th, we can break that out and give it a try.

-Deborah
A former member
Hey there~I would love to do some more mellow, lyrically rich songs. I am a singer of many styles but always have had a desire to explore this genre more. I have of coarse my own microphone and a portable PA. The jury is still out on whether I can do a jam at my place. I would have to check with my nieghbors. I think it would be possible with this style as long as we kept it MELLOW. I would need help on how to operate my PA as my former husband always set it up and ran it while I did my thing. Anyway, I have several songs I'd love to explore. Cindy Michell
Tom T.
user 5873973
West Linn, OR
I could be interested in this.

-- Tom Taylor
-- Drums. Lately, I spend most of my time on a cocktail outfit using brushes and playing under acoustic music.
Torch songs are made for this style of drumming.
-- Preferred style: any
-- I have my own equipment, and it takes up a small footprint. Can play in any size room or venue.
-- At present, I can't supply a space to jam, but this may change in September.
-- Friday nights are best, or Saturday afternoons.
Gene (aka ".
user 6961105
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 4
Ages ago I sort of learned to read music for the piano, but have no way to figure out what a c7sus4 is on the guitar. . . I tried figuring it out and got a headache!!
Elizabeth, I have some chords and sheet music for Summertime and if you are coming on the 9th, we can break that out and give it a try.

-Deborah

I am pretty good at jazz voicings for chords, so anyone that wants help, I will do my best to show you or cover for you. It is actually easier than it looks: the names are intimidating, but the actual chords are more tongue-twisting than finger-twisting. Relax your mind! C7sus4 is easy!

See you on the 9.
Gene
Tom T.
user 5873973
West Linn, OR
All we need are acoustic bass and piano players and we have a combo...
Gene (aka ".
user 6961105
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 5
All we need are acoustic bass and piano players and we have a combo...

So all we need is the glue and the substance........

Well, maybe. Despite my glib "relax-your-mind" message, guitar comes hard for me. I think of myself mostly as an idiosyncratic singer and in the context of a combo my guitar improvisation is acceptable but a bit repetitive. Still I like the setting. BTW I have an Ashbory bass, which puts out a pretty nice "acoustic" sound. I could bring that.
Gene
PS, Tom, I very much enjoyed your playing in June at A & K's. Looking forward....