This is a great hike in the sunnier Eastern gorge. It has wide-open views and the early wildflowers should be coming out! FYI, this is a popular mountain biking area.
I have listed this hike as exploratory only because I have not trekked the full length of this personally.
TOTAL MILES: 9 miles ELEVATION GAIN: 1950 ft PACE: Moderate DIFFICULTY RATING: Difficult ESTIMATED HIKING TIME: 5 hours PERMITS: None
CARPOOLING: RT mileage 120 miles, give or take; we suggest a mileage donation of 10 cents/mile/person, or $12.00. Exact change makes it easier to divide among our drivers. No one will be turned away for an inability to contribute. Thanks!
Well-mannered dogs will be allowed. I'll be bringing mine!
What to bring:
• Sturdy hiking boots/shoes
• Two or three light layers of clothing that can be adjusted or removed as necessary (NO COTTON!!!)
• Rain gear
• Safety whistle, preferably on a cord around your neck (highly recommended)
• The 10 essentials*
• Trekking poles (never a bad idea)
• Lunch, snacks and plenty of water
*Navigation, Sun protection, Insulation, Illumination, First Aid, Fire, Repair Kit/Tools, Nutrition, Hydration, Emergency Shelter. For a more detailed description, check out “The Ten Essentials” on the Portland Hiking Meetup Group’s FILES page.