TOTAL MILES: 9 miles ++
ELEVATION GAIN: 2800 ft
PACE: Moderate 2.0
DIFFICULTY RATING: Moderate due to length and elevation ESTIMATED HIKING TIME: 4.5
PERMITS: NW FP for Drivers
CARPOOLING: RT mileage is 90 miles, give or take; we suggest a mileage donation of 10 cents/mile/person, or $9.00. Exact change makes it easier to divide among our drivers. No one will be turned away for an inability to contribute. Thanks!
We will start at the Herman Creek Trailhead and follow this trail up to Gorton Creek From that point we will wind through beautiful timber until we reach Indian Point hopefully we will have a decent view to the east of the gorge we will continue past Indian Point and explore the trail over to Dead Man's camp then take a cut off trail to Nick Eaton Ridge.... From that point depending on the time we will either cut down Casey Creek Trail or the Nick Eaton trail... Until we reach the Herman Creek Trail and return back to our vehicles.
Please note that there is a MANUAL waiting list for this hike. What this means is that if a spot opens up everyone on the waiting list will automatically receive an e-mail notifying them of the opening. NO DOGS....
• Sturdy hiking boots/shoes with at least one change of socks
• Two or three light layers of clothing that can be adjusted or removed as necessary (NO COTTON!!!)
• Rain gear • Safety whistle, preferably on a cord around your neck (highly recommended)
• The 10 essentials* • Trekking poles (never a bad idea)
• Lunch, snacks and plenty of water *Navigation, Sun protection, Insulation, Illumination, First Aid, Fire, Repair Kit/Tools, Nutrition, Hydration, Emergency Shelter. For a more detailed description, check out “The Ten Essentials” on the Portland Hiking Meetup Group’s FILES page.